Free and Open Online Courses for High School

Free and Open Courses

Reprinted with permission from the blog, Parenting in an Electronic Age

Homeschooling through high school can be tough, for both parents AND students! What do you do if your child needs extra help, or wants additional studies in a specific subject area? What if they want to start taking some college courses at home? If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably spent a great deal of time thinking about transcripts, admissions, student loans and everything else that goes along with high school and college, as well as how much all of that COSTS.

Having said all that, I have something to share with you. It might be shocking to hear, but take a deep breath and continue reading…

Are you ready?

There are free courses available online. Free. Online. Available to everyone.

Still with me? ;)

Organizations like the Saylor Foundation have made college/continuing education courses available for a while, but recently launched open online K-12 courses (Saylor Foundation Launches Open Online K-12 Courses)! Their course selection is limited right now, but they do plan on adding more as they can. Immediately available is an American Literature course, as well as a couple of math courses. Oh, and all of these are aligned to the common core state standards!

In addition to the Saylor Foundation, major universities are opening up certain online courses for high schoolers. StanfordBerkeleyMITDukeHarvardUCLAYale andCarnegie Mellon are just some of the major schools offering free courses right now! From Quantum Mechanics, to Classical Greek Civilizations, to Current Media Studies (and everything in between), there is something for everyone.

These courses would be great for beefing up transcripts (imagine applying to a college or university, already having college level courses under your belt!). They would also work well as a complement to your traditional curricula. If your high schooler is still undecided about what they want to pursue in college, trying out some different courses would be a fantastic way to explore career interests. And one last suggestion as to why you might want your child to enroll in one or more of these courses: keeping their brains engaged and sharp over the summer!

If your high schooler wants to attend a specific college/university, definitely check their course listings and see what they have to offer as dual enrollment or pre-college options.

View more posts from Parenting in an Electronic Age

June 27, 2013

Comments

1. Jamie says:
    Posted October 1, 2014 8:38 am

This site is actually not a provider of homeschool curriculum, but rather a resource for guiding parents and students through the process of homeschooling high school. If you are new to the idea of homeschooling in the high school years, you may want to check out our "Absolute Beginner's Guide To Homeschooling High School," which will hopefully enlighten you on where to start your homeschooling journey. We have many other resources here at LetsHSHS.com including a full high school homeschool curriculum directory, a directory of online high schools, forums for asking questions and sharing concerns, and tons of articles and resources to guide you through most any step of the process of homeschooling high school. We hope you will explore everything our site has to offer and that we can be a genuine help to you as you start your homeschool adventure!

2. Baddie says:
    Posted September 29, 2014 11:14 am

I want to do online coarses

3. Jamie says:
    Posted August 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Desiree, I completely understand your situation. You can feel free to look at the resources that we have here on LHSHS. It sounds like you are almost to your goal! Just keep working at it, and you'll have that diploma in no time!

4. Desiree says:
    Posted August 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi I have a problem. See I never finished high school. I'm 18 n my class graduated last year. I had only one class to go but ended up having my son. I couldn't balence a new born and school but I will do any thing for my diploma. I only have one class to go before I'm finished and maybe a couple end of the year senior tests. So what can I do.

5. pandahoneybee says:
    Posted April 1, 2014 2:20 pm

Angela,
    We are using Time4Learning for high school this year and loving it. Why don't you check it out to see if there is something that will fit your needs. http://letshomeschoolhighschool.com/listing-category/high-school-curriculum/

6. angela brown says:
    Posted March 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Looking for on line school for my 16 yr old daughter

7. Jamie says:
    Posted March 26, 2014 11:08 am

Hi Hailey, so glad you joined us... I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. I would suggest finding out what your state guidelines are for homeschoolers, then determining which type of online curriculum you think will be best for your learning style. Once you've determined that check out our curriculum directory. There are alot of free offerings there, and others that are very affordably priced! If you have any other questions - hop on over to our student forum and ask away!!

8. Hailey Vesper says:
    Posted March 26, 2014 6:16 am

I'm in high school 9th grade and I'm failing all my classes second semester this year. I'm thinking of taking online classes so I can work at my own pace. I needed information or suggestions on what I should do. Any ideas?

9. pandahoneybee says:
    Posted March 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Daisey, I would say to look over the online resources that are free and listed on the site. I am not sure what your current situation is...but if you dropped out of school you can look into going back to the grade level that you last completed. Since you are technically an adult I would think that a simple GED test would get you on your way to going onto college or other specialized training school you are interested in pursuing. I wish you best of luck and if you have any further questions please PM me!

10. Daisey says:
    Posted March 24, 2014 9:16 am

Hi im 18 alomst 19 and was in foster care as a child, i never had a chance to graduate but now id like to try, what do you suggest for someone with no parents or guardians?

11. Victoria Felder says:
    Posted February 24, 2014 1:32 am

Im not happy at all in school I need to go to school online ive made my decision.

12. Jamie says:
    Posted January 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Hello Nick, we are not a curriculum provider. We have an extensive listing of homeschool resources in our homeschool directory. Why don't you check it out to see if there is something that will fit your needs. high school curriculum directory

13. Nick says:
    Posted January 16, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm in 10th I need a online schooling thing that you can unroll one day and start that week

14. Jamie says:
    Posted January 9, 2014 12:38 am

Hi Embeat,
    Our site is not an online school. However, we do offer alot of tips to help you find the perfect homeschool. Check out our curriculum directory to see if you can find one that is right for you!
    Jamie

15. Embeat Meharie says:
    Posted January 8, 2014 10:15 pm

i want to take online classes and am in high school.

16. Jackie says:
    Posted November 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi Joyce,

Our site is not a school. We offer many resources for homeschooling a high school student. We do have a curriculum directory listing various curriculum and online resources. I suggest you take a look at it. Time4Learning now offers high school courses.

Let's Homeschool High School Team

17. joyce moon says:
    Posted November 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Need online as son was taken out of public school due to peer pressure and low grades.