Free Online High School In Your State

Free Online High School

Free Online High School for Specific Students

There is a type of schooling, officially known as “virtual schooling” that provides free online high school, depending on what state you live in. Technically, this type of schooling is NOT homeschooling, although you DO receive it at home. Virtual schools are actually a type of charter school, usually run by private for-profit companies, who receive public funds from the local government for each student enrolled.

Online virtual schools can be a good option for specific students – - especially those who are involved heavily in outside activities such as athletics, acting, dance, or music because they allow for maximum flexibility in when and where the student’s studies can be completed. The main downside of these types of programs is a lack of oversight. If students aren’t extremely self-motivated to do well, and if a parent or teacher is not closely monitoring their progress, they can easily fall behind their classroom-based peers.

States Offering Free Online High School

If you live in one of the following states, you may be eligible for free virtual schooling in your state. (You can also visit our online high schools directory):

State  Online Schools
VA View our directory of online high schools in Virginia
WA View our directory of online high schools in Washington
WV View our directory of online high schools in West Virginia
WI View our directory of online high schools in Wisconsin
WY View our directory of online high schools in Wyoming

Other Options for Online High School

Only specific states in the US offer free online high school. Students in other states who are interested in homeschooling online must be willing to purchase homeschool curriculum from a variety of online high school homeschool curriculum publishers OR have parents who are willing to create or customize a curriculum for them. For the states that do not have a free online high school option, we’ve included other options.

This type of schooling falls more accurately under the category of homeschooling, meaning that the parent or guardian assigns the work to be completed, oversees the student’s progress, tracks their grades and assignments, and even administers the official homeschool diploma. Feel free to explore LetsHomeschoolHighschool.com for applicable information on planning and customizing a high school homeschool program.

February 24, 2013

Comments

1. Jamie says:
    Posted January 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi Tammy,
    I understand... but, if you don't mind paying a small monthly subscription ($20) There is a super homeschool curriculum that is completely online. He can also go back and pick up where he left off and work at his own pace to finish out this second semester. I would check it out - it's also proven to work wonders with students with learning disabilities. My children use it at both high school and elementary school levels... and love it! Time4Learning www.time4learning.com or 8887710914

2. tammie huante says:
    Posted January 15, 2017 2:50 pm

I live in Grady ark. Looking for a free online him school for my son. He is 17 and he is In the 11th grade he was in public school for the 1st semester but the teacher and kids was to overwhelming for him he has a learning disability and adhd and is on a 504 plan. So he want to finish his 2nd semester homeschooling. But I am having trouble finding anyone who will take him bc they are not taking anymore right now.what do I do

3. Jamie says:
    Posted November 16, 2016 12:52 pm

Jasmine, Kentucky just recently added a free virtual school. So, I updated that link for you.

4. Jamie says:
    Posted November 16, 2016 12:37 pm

Angel, we've updated this page to include several more states that now have online programs. So, yes there are schools available in Virginia.

5. Lindsey Skinner says:
    Posted August 15, 2016 12:23 pm

I am really hoping i can get into this homeschool program

6. jasmine says:
    Posted January 3, 2016 7:00 pm

is there any online home schools for kentucky?

7. Rebekah says:
    Posted October 2, 2015 5:16 pm

Is there a website for Kentucky students?

8. Jamie says:
    Posted September 10, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Misbah,
    From what I can see Ontario does have some online highschools available. Here is a link to one resource - http://www.ilc.org/index-main.php

9. Misbah Sarwar says:
    Posted September 9, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi I live in Ontario Canada and would like to go to a free online high school and get a proper diploma. Is there any high schools?

10. Dennis says:
    Posted September 2, 2015 12:11 am

I currently live in Ohio but I've taken a job in South Carolina. I hope to enroll my daughter in an online school so she could study in either location until I get settled in SC. My daughter does not like her present high school and would like to commute with me some while we're looking for a new home. My plan is to be living in SC by the end of September.

11. Jamie says:
    Posted August 3, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Kelsay,
    I would check with the free online public school options for your state. Contact them and make sure this will take care of your credit requirement before you get started.

12. Jamie says:
    Posted August 3, 2015 9:58 am

Hello Debbie,
    We are so glad you stopped by LHSHS - our site does not include a free online curriculum. We do however, give you a directory of free online homeschool resources from which to choose one that fits your needs. Look through the listings on our site... I'm sure you'll find one that work!

13. kelsay says:
    Posted August 1, 2015 7:58 pm

hi I live in Alabama and was wondering will this give me my credits?

14. Debbie says:
    Posted June 3, 2015 3:38 am

Hi! I am a home schooling mother from the Philippines. Can I access the free online highschool?

15. Jamie says:
    Posted August 13, 2014 10:56 am

Hi Silvia. GREAT! Take a minute to browse our listings and see if you can find something that fits your needs. Our directory has a lot of very useful information.

16. silvia says:
    Posted August 13, 2014 10:48 am

Im looking for free virtual school in new jersey for my daughter ,she is in Senior year.

17. Jamie says:
    Posted July 2, 2014 10:35 am

Hello Sandra,
    You can use the information on our site to help you find the resources with information regarding homeschooling in your state. Each state is different and has different requirements. You will need to find your state and begin looking at the requirements there. There are many states that offer free online homeschool through the local public school system.

18. Dawn says:
    Posted July 2, 2014 1:24 am

In the past 6 months we started using Penn Foster online High School for our son who is in 9th grade. He has been doing wonderful with it and could graduate next year. You can pay up front or monthly for $49. We all like it so far and it can be really tough. It may be worth checking out. We have 3 younger homeschoolers, ages 12, 9, and 5, so this takes off a bit of a burden for me.

19. sandra says:
    Posted July 1, 2014 12:11 am

Hello im looking to online homeschools i finish 9th grade of high school and right now im 9 months pregnat im looking to continue with school but like you guys you its going to be dificult with one child..i dont understand what do i have to do so i can have online school so i really need help what can i do to enroll to school because i really want to continue with my education..

20. Jamie says:
    Posted March 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Demitera,
    I would suggest starting with your state's homeschool requirements. Once you have a clear idea of what you must do to satisfy those... you can then determine which type of curriculum you wish to use. You'll want to examine your teens' learning styles and choose a curriculum that will correspond. We have a very extensive list of homeschool curriculum in our directory on the home page. Also, feel free to stop by our parent forum and ask these questions to other homeschoolers...

21. Demitera says:
    Posted March 26, 2014 5:21 pm

My family and I are looking to homeschool our daughter that will be starting 9th grade next year. I have looked over quite a few different website, can you offer any suggestions where we should start. If all goes well with her we may want to do the same with our younger daughter who will be starting 7th grade next year. Thanks in advance for ANY help you can provide

22. Jamie says:
    Posted March 26, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Erica, I am so glad that you are interested in homeschooling! It was one of the best decisions we ever made. I do have to tell you, LHSHS is not a curriculum provider. We have collected the information and are here to help answer your questions, but you will need to find a curriculum that suits your needs and make sure it aligns with your state's requirements. If you have any questions - hop on over to our student forum and ask away!!!

23. Erika Zarabia says:
    Posted March 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi my names Erika. I'm very interested in starting online school. I was hoping to contact you guys & enroll, I live in California, I hope you guys can contact me very soon!

24. pandahoneybee says:
    Posted January 7, 2014 8:50 pm

Keyla..if there is an online school in your state, you will need to contact them and see what the requirements are for you.

25. Keyla Olea says:
    Posted January 7, 2014 3:57 am

what do I need to enroll?

26. Kerry says:
    Posted November 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Lisa,
    Is your state listed above? Definitely check out one of the linked options if so! If not, there are still some free homeschooling options...you just might have to put a little more effort into organizing them into what you feel like is a comprehensive curriculum. You can filter our curriculum directory search to look only for free alternatives.

27. Jamie says:
    Posted November 14, 2013 10:35 pm

Hello... I completely understand. Feel free to check out our curriculum directory and other homeschool resources! They can help you achieve your goal.

28. lisa luke says:
    Posted November 14, 2013 8:36 pm

looking for free schooling for my daughter with high anxiety disorder. would like her tofinish highschool but cannot afford it

29. Jackie says:
    Posted November 1, 2013 10:24 pm

Hello and thank you for contacting Let's Homeschool High School.

Let's Homeschool High School is a resource for homeschoolers and homeschooling parents, it is not a school. It is free to join and is full of helpful articles, templates, forums...

There are many options for homeschooling your high school student. I suggest you check out Time4Learning's new high school courses. They even have demos of lessons you and your daughter can try out.

Best wishes and if we can be of further help, please let us know.

Joyfully,
    Jackie
    Let's Homeschool High School Team Member

30. latisha milner says:
    Posted November 1, 2013 7:26 pm

I am interested in putting my daughter in home school she is nineth grade she is struggling in school
    The pase is to fast for her if you could please get back with me it would be greatly appreciated

31. admin says:
    Posted October 18, 2013 12:50 am

Thank you, Kim!! We're getting ready to update our directory, so we really appreciate the addition!!

32. Kim McIntyre says:
    Posted October 17, 2013 9:14 pm

In Montana, Montana Digital Academy or MTDA. You must register thru your local high school but all online.