Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just curious...what is your student's current passion??

Super Moderator

Just curious...what is your student's current passion??

One of the most wonderful thing about homeschooling has been watching my sons' different interests zig and zag over time. I love that they have the opportunity to truly follow an interest as far as it will take them. My son who is a junior this year is currently passionate about film and film-making and this fall he is exploring something I had never even heard of until he introduced me to it...machinima. Machinima is basically use of real-time 3D computer graphics rendering engines to create a cinematic production. If you have kids who play video games, then you have probably seen this in the "cut scenes" where the drama is moved forward. Formats like Second Life have allowed this kind of virtual-reality film-making to flourish, and my son is exploring his creative side by exploring this medium.

What about you? What things are your teens exploring to their heart's content at the moment?
    Creating this site has been a dream come true!! I hope it will be a help and encouragement to you in your homeschooling journey!!!

Sincerely,
    Kerry - Site Admin

Established Member
    Dd is all about writing...particularly creative non-fiction, book reviews, and short stories. She's also into photography.

Ds lives and breathes programming. I have NO CLUE what he's doing, but the results look pretty spiffy!
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Super Moderator
    Hannah is into making videos, music, and fan fic stuff for anime, Hetalia mostly. The Mac is perfect for that. She finds new things to do every week. She is way more oriented to the tech stuff than I am. Just not so sure how any of that would fit on a transcript.

Dd is into Anthropology, reading ( as usual! ) and writing up a theory about prejudice as the root cause of war. Lol. I'm glad she home schools :-)

She also loves her student teaching gig at her dance school and she, her sister and a friend are writing a screenplay. I think that's just for fun.

She's started cooking dinner on a Friday night so is quite engaged in recipe choosing.

My oldest (senior) seems to busy this year to do anything just for fun... (Sad) my freshman daughter is doing ok...and loves music..playing 3 different instruments...
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

My oldest son and only high schooler for now, is all about cooking right now. He has expressed an interest in possibly becoming a chef. Since the time he was old enough to manage the stove and oven on his own, I've not been able to keep him out of the kitchen! He's been watching cooking shows and learning from them for about as long as well. His favorite cooking show at the moment is "Take Home Chef". I would love to find a way for him to get to work with a real chef to see if this is what he really wants to do with his life. Oh! And he was asking for a good mixer for Christmas!! LOL
    Last edited by DeeTeachermom; 11-29-2012 at 01:58 PM.

My daughter loves writing. She writes short stories and publishes them to her blog. I don't know if I would call this a passion, more like an obsession! It may blow over, or she may go on to be a rich & famous novelist someday, but in the meantime, she's definitely having fun!
    Homeschooling Mom to 5 - Visit me at NUTRITION FOR HEALTHY KIDS - resources and lesson plans to teach about nutrition and health!

Boy do I wish the oldest loved to write but he loves animals and video game design so I am just happy that he does have some passions
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

astronomy, photography, and wants to try film making

Does putting together legos count as a passion? BECAUSE my oldest has loved them since he was little LOL
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast