Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CLEP Testing

CLEP Testing

I am taking a CLEP test later this month (English Composition with Essay) to earn college credits and hopefully bypass English 101. I've never done anything like this, so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips? Any suggestions for studying, what not to do/what to do, what I need to bring specifically to the testing center, etc. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with this organization. Do they allow you to use a computer-based spelling/grammar checker?

Um...I think the spelling/grammar checker is supposed to be your brain, considering it's an English Composition test. I wish they had a spell check though. :/ The whole test is computer based. 120 minutes total - 50 minutes to answer 50 multiple choice questions, and 70 minutes to write two essays, one in which you must synthesize information from two cited sources and build an argument.
    Last edited by tiallarising; 04-27-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Oh. I took a final a lot like that during English in college about a year ago. My tip is don't let yourself get too stressed during the actual essay part. A few people didn't finish the final essay because of constant grammar/spelling worries, so just write as best you can first and correct afterward.

Thanks for the tips!! I'm going to start practicing writing timed essays this week, so hopefully that will help when it comes to the actual test. It's actually more of the 50 multiple choice questions in 50 minutes that concerns me. I know a full minute per question is a long time, but a big part of the test requires reading some literary passages and then revising them...which I'm afraid will take me longer than 1 minute. I guess we'll see how it turns out, though. Thanks again for the tips!

We plan on taking the English test as well as the Biology in a month or so. Please share how you do, and if you have any tips... once you've survived!
    kaitlyn likes this.
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

@mrs.j - I definitely will! I took the exam this past Monday...and it was pretty stressful. I almost ran out of time (I had 8 minutes to answer the last 10 questions), but I made it work and answered every question. The reason for that was for almost every 5-8 questions, there is a new literature passage to read. Some of the questions ask you to choose the best answer that describes the passage, so for those, you definitely have to read the paragraphs. However, I think what would have saved me time, is just reading the question, and referring back to the specific sentence it mentioned instead of reading the whole passage beforehand. It was the reading that really ate up my time!

The essay part was the most relaxing for me...I still had to make sure I was staying in the time limit, but it wasn't too hard - practicing writing timed essays really helped. I think I wrote 12 practice essays in the previous week to prepare, and it definitely prepared me! For one essay, the examinee is given 30 minutes to write an argumentative essay based off of your own knowledge and experience, and the prompt provided. For the second essay, the examinee is given 40 minutes to write in argumentative essay in which you must synthesize information from two cited sources - in support of your argument. Because of the practice essays, I was able to get the outline and essay written with 8 minutes left on the clock (12 for the 2nd essay, actually) which left me plenty of time to revise.

I don't know how well I did yet, since it was the College Composition CLEP, and the essays need to be graded by English professors, and then the grades mailed to me. Unless I did terribly, I will surely let you know!
    kaitlyn likes this.

Established Member
    I'm sure you did AWESOME! <3

Quote Originally Posted by kaitlyn View Post
    I'm sure you did AWESOME! <3
    Aww, thanks girly.

Thanks so much for posting how it went. My daughter goes in a few weeks. I'm sure you did well too!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast