Thread: Dealing with the stereotype

Dealing with the stereotype

So yesterday, my mom and siblings and I were at a store, and the cashier gave us the line, "You're obviously homeschoolers."

I'm pretty sure nothing else can produce mixed feelings like that line, in that tone. I wonder, was it a compliment? Or not? Ever have people say those things to you? I usually end up blowing it off, thinking, "Yeah, I'm homeschooled - and better off for it." Still, something lingers in my mind... I guess homeschoolers will always deal with that kind of stereotype, right? That's why we have each other! haha

How is someone "obviously" a homeschooler? Maybe there's warning signs or something, but I wouldn't know if I saw it (unless they were like the kids in "RV." That was a great movie.)

Established Member
    Yeah, I can never tell when someone's a homeschooler. Maybe that's just where I live, here in South Texas. People here always seem surprised when they ask my friends and me where we all go to school at. We're just like, "Oh, we're all homeschooled. Yep, all twelve of us." Hahahaha! But I have gotten that line before when I travel. I don't know. I guess it depends on where you live too. Also, down here homeschooling is quite popular. A lot of people are like, "OH, that's so cool! I wish I could homeschool!" So I don't know. I think some places know more about homeschooling than others. The places that don't know much about homeschooling might have issues with it, while the people who DO know about it and even have friends/family that do it, they are more... merciful? ... about it!! Hahaha

I guess the three kids, whining baby, and laid-back mom, in a store during regular school hours kind of gave it away... Most people where I live are very welcoming of homeschoolers, but sometimes we come across someone who just...isn't. haha It's always an interesting experience, to say the least!