Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ajones20
  • 1 Post By meg20089

Thread: Foreign Languages

Foreign Languages

Do any of you know a foreign language? If so, which? And how did you learn it (i.e. a co-op class, college class, self-study, computer program....)?

I tried and failed to learn Japanese in high school what about you?
    tiallarising likes this.

Wow, Japanese! That's cool, though I've heard it's a super hard language to learn. What made you want to learn Japanese?

I...uh...tried and failed to learn Spanish in high school. Haha! All of my friends know and speak Spanish, and it's a requirement for, I think, all the universities in Arizona, since there are so many Mexicans/Hispanics here. I also tried and partially succeeded in French, but I don't remember much. I'm now slowly trying to learn Italian. I hope that doesn't fail.

To be honest, I just wanted to play Japanese video games that were never imported. A lot of tech comes from over there that isn't localized. Unfortunately, the hard part of learning Japanese (that you quickly encounter) is Kanji: the language is irrevocably mixed with Chinese lettering, so most "modern" Asian media is written in a slurry of different Asiatic languages, all confusing and with too many characters!

It's good you learned Spanish early. Lots of employers, no matter your field, light up when they hear "Se habla espanol!"

Haha, well at least you tried! It does sound insanely confusing. And people say English is the hardest language to learn...sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by tiallarising View Post
    Haha, well at least you tried! It does sound insanely confusing. And people say English is the hardest language to learn...sheesh.

I'm currently learning Spanish III at a co-op class, and French I online. Haha, and in 8th grade I tried (and failed) to learn Latin, but that's it for foreign language so far.
    tiallarising likes this.