Thread: Motivation

Motivation

What do you find is your best motivation for staying focused on school and not getting carried away with distractions throughout the day??

Procrastinating things until hours before they're due really helps with motivation to do them!

I remain a firm advocate of the "finish assignment, have cookie" approach. Interesting article that covers a lot of approaches (even though I don't agree with all of them): Lack of Motivation in Teenagers | High School At Home | Homeschooling Teens

@ajones20 - haha procrastination definitely "helps," though in a stressful way. I find that along with procrastination, due dates also help. If I'm told to write an essay, but aren't given a due date, most likely that essay will never get written. However, if I have a due date, I'm much better at finishing them! It's not that I don't like writing them (I obviously love writing) but I'm just terrible at procrastinating them.

I also really like the reward for finishing assignment approach. I think I should implement it more. It tends to work really well! Thanks for the link.

Established Member
    I agree with Andrew on the "finish assignment, have a cookie" thing. That's what I do. I tell myself, "Okay, Kaitlyn, do this and then you can do this..."

For me, I'm usually out in the afternoons cuz I have a lot of music groups. I make an agreement with myself that if I can get all my stuff done in the morning then all my spare time in the afternoon is mine to use in whatever way I choose. But cookies are good also. Especially snicker-doodles.
    learnerwithapassion

Learnerwithapassion: that's something I've struggled with a lot. I do the best work during the afternoon/midday, but it's also the time I don't want to do any work and just have spare time. I wonder sometimes if this is different when someone is a "morning person" or "night person."