Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Strict schedule, or not?

Strict schedule, or not?

I've noticed that schedules among homeschoolers tend to vary - drastically. My family has always had a strict schedule when it comes to school. We start school at 8 am and keep at it until we're done - and there's no playing around until we're done with school. Now, granted, that's changed a bit now that I'm in my senior year, (I have a lot more laxity for when to start school, and checking emails during school), but overall, we still have a pretty rigid schedule.

Yet, I have friends who can party until after midnight because they're homeschoolers and they don't have a schedule. It's so interesting to me when I hear about some homeschoolers who have a tight schedule and others who don't have much of a schedule at all. How about you? What's your "schedule" like? I'd love to know!

Established Member
    I can't say I have a strict schedule, really. We've tried to have one, but it kind of ends up dissolving somehow! Haha! I actually stay up until midnight every night, and then some nights (like last night), I stay up until, like, 3. All that matters is that we get all the schoolwork we need to get done by 6:00. That's my dad's rule. He's like, "When I get home, everyone should already be done." And we always are. I actually usually finish quickly considering I don't have as many subjects anymore as, say, my ten-year-old brother. I've already finished a few subjects. I think I have the "loosest" schedule out of all my siblings because of two things. 1) I'm a senior now. 2) I'm an author, and that means some times I have to spend a week doing nothing but prepare for a writer's workshop I'll be doing (which is coming up on Wednesday and Thursday this week!). The preparations for that is kind of nerve-wracking. I have to make a power point. I have to make sure I cover all bullet points. I have to double check everything. I had to RE-READ MY OWN BOOK so that I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I'll know how to answer their questions. So, yes, I was allowed to prepare for this workshop in place of schoolwork.

The problem with a strict schedule is, unless you're in a really strict family/home environment already, it ends up disrupted a lot. Family outings, house guests and other things can mess up the schedule. If you work by a schedule already yourself then that's fine, but as a homeschooler you have to have some degree of flexibility.

Then again, it's the same in ordinary school. My college has to cancel classes as much as any other school, for example, when the roads ice over.

Wow, that sounds like a pretty awesome schedule! haha That must be so nice to just take a week preparing for something (like a workshop) if you need to. I hope everything goes well with the workshop! Let me know how it goes. I'm sure I would be allowed to take the time off if I needed...it's more of my own rules that don't allow it, haha. I have so much school to do, and I really really want to get it all done before I graduate. (As opposed to going through the graduation ceremony, but still having a couple subject to finish up.) Thanks!
    kaitlyn likes this.

Most definitely! The schedule is always getting disrupted...but we somehow always figure out how to make it work, so it's not a *huge* deal.... haha Still, I agree that it would probably be a bit less stressful if I had a more relaxed schedule. Yes I'm talking about myself here. My parents would most likely be fine with me dropping some subjects and being more loose with my schedule - it's just me that wants to make sure I finish everything, and as long as I keep to the schedule, I can get it done. haha

Mine is busy, but not strict like, I do a lot, but no one cares how long it takes me to get it done and such

Wow, that sounds nice!!

Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiallarising View Post
    I hope everything goes well with the workshop! Let me know how it goes.
    Tia, it went very well! We need to Google Hangout SOON and I'll tell you everything! <3

I don't really have a 'schedule' but I do have a lot of work to get through so I know I have to work dilligently. I'm doing abeka DVD program so I have a minimum of 6 hours depending on how much homework. Then we have some home school activities so some days I only do about half a day.
    tiallarising likes this.

Well, I'm really busy but that's mainly my choice because I focus on my music so much. I practice my flute for at least 2 hours, sometimes 3 a day, and piano for an hour. So, then I have to work hard to get all my academics done. And that's not even counting all the outside activities I do. :P I usually go to be at midnight or 1, and get up either at 6:30 or 7.
    tiallarising likes this.
    learnerwithapassion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast