Thread: Taking Classes at High School while Homeschooling?

Taking Classes at High School while Homeschooling?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if any of you take classes at your local high school, such as electives, while still doing the rest of your school as a homeschooler? If you do, do you like it? Would you recommend it, or do you think it just makes it harder because you don't actually go to the school?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    I wish this were an option where we are (rural GA), not only for the electives, but for the extra-curricular activities like clubs and athletics. Alas, our state is pretty much an "it's up to the school board" state and my local system doesn't care to have homeschoolers participate in any in-school activities (outside of IEPs).

Will be following this thread because I'm interested to see how many areas allow homeschoolers to take electives at schools.

Oh that's definitely a bummer that your school system doesn't want the involvement of homeschoolers! I know that here in AZ, many homeschoolers participate in the local schools with sports and electives and such.

Established Member
    In our area, homeschoolers are not allowed to take courses or do extracurricular activities with the public schools. However, some private schools allow for it. They tend to be church schools, so those of us who are not religious tend to not take advantage of this either.

My two went the route of dual credit at the local university instead of taking classes at the high school.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

I hadn't known that a lot of schools don't let homeschoolers take other classes or extracurriculars, or so it seems. Dual enrollment is always a good idea, though, I might have to look into that! Thanks!