Thread: Apprenticeship vs. College

Apprenticeship vs. College

Have you ever thought of going through an apprenticeship instead of college? Which way are you more likely to go?

In the modern day and age, what does apprenticeship even entail? Just curious.

Fun anecdote: some colleges have "works" positions like Berea where you pay your way through by working in the college itself. They call these "work colleges." If you're really struggling to decide between apprenticeship and college, that might be a happy compromise.

@ajones20 - My brother personally went through an apprenticeship. He is now an electrician. It entailed on the job training, attending classes in the evenings, and working for a certain amount of hours before "finishing." Since my family has had hands-on experience with apprenticeship (and now college, considering I will be attending college this fall), I was wondering if anyone else has ever thought about it, and what they would tend to lean towards.

Work colleges actually sound like a really good opportunity. It'll give those college students some responsibility! haha

Established Member
    I think I would rather do the apprenticeship mainly because you get to focus so much on what your doing, you know? I don't know. My thoughts! Haha! I'm going to college, but yeah, an apprenticeship would be pretty fun and cool!

@kaitlyn - Exactly! I think an apprenticeship would be an excellent job to get hands-on training and schooling for what you want to do at the same time!