Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OrchidCeleste98
  • 1 Post By Inmom

Thread: Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment

Is anyone here dual enrolling? I know dual enrollment is super popular with homeschoolers, so I am curious.

Established Member
    I take one class at a high school, next year I'll take a class at a community college and one at the public university near where I live.

I like duel enrolling, it's a little weird to explain to people sometimes, though.
    tiallarising likes this.

Established Member
    Both my teens have been dual enrolled for almost 2 years. DD started at a sophomore and has taken 2 semesters of Spanish, 2 semesters of English comp, and 2 semesters of chemistry. She'll finish with 2 more semesters of Spanish next year. DS started as a freshman and has 2 semester of precalculus, 1 semester of English comp, and 2 semesters of chemistry. In the next two years he intends to take 4 semesters of calculus and differential equations.

As the parent, I think it's been good. They've had a taste of the college life before they "go away" to school. It's also been good for them to be accountable to someone else besides me.

The downside is that while public school students in our area only pay $25 per credit hour to earn dual credit through their high school, we only get half price credit by taking courses on campus. Guess it's better than paying full price!
    tiallarising likes this.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Looking back on my high school years, I kind of wish I had dual enrolled. Unfortunately, I never even thought of it until after graduation. It sounds like such a great program!

By the way, Carol, thank you for sharing your experience with your children. From what you wrote, it seems like they have had a fantastic experience with it. I'm sure it has helped give them a very well-rounded education, and they've had the opportunity to experience different cultures and people.

Liza - That sounds wonderful! I've read that some public universities offer dual enrollment, but I've never personally known anyone to participate in it. How exciting!

Established Member
    Thanks Tia, I am excited!

Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiallarising View Post
    I've read that some public universities offer dual enrollment, but I've never personally known anyone to participate in it. How exciting!
    Indeed! My teens are dual enrolled at a large public Indiana university.....(but not the Indiana University!!)
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

I haven't been in dual enrollment yet, but hopefully I will be soon. It'd be nice to have a couple of subjects under my belt before graduating. =)

Carol - that is fantastic! All the dual enrolled students I know just attend the community college. How cool is that to participate in a university!

Meg - I totally agree. I think it would be an awesome experience for everyone.