Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By learnerwithapassion

Thread: Graduation

Graduation

Alright, for those of you who haven't graduated yet, what are your plans for graduation? As a homeschooler, you can choose from so many different ways how to commemorate that special event!

Some choose to go all out on the cap, diploma, walking down the aisles, throwing their caps, etc. (I.e. - me.) Others choose to go more low key in a special, but small recognition of just a few families getting together, showing a slideshow of their few graduates, cake, photos, guest book, etc. (i.e. also me.)

Yes, also me. Meaning, I'm choosing to participate in a huge state-wide graduation ceremony, as well as a small recognition put on by a few families who have student graduates as well. As a homeschooler, you can do that.

Others like to have something between the two - not huge, but not really small either. So what are you thinking of for your graduation? Also, if you were homeschooled and have graduated, what was your ceremony like?

How are you able to graduate in a state-wide ceremony? Do you do it "under the wing" of a public school system (like with driver's ed)?

I know that some homeschoolers graduate under their charter school. I am an independent homeschooler, so the most I could do is throw myself a graduation party, which I could, but I probably won't. I'm waiting for when I graduate from whichever music conservatory I end up going to. That's when I'll party DDD It's all a matter of opinion though.
    Robin likes this.
    learnerwithapassion

Quote Originally Posted by ajones20 View Post
    How are you able to graduate in a state-wide ceremony? Do you do it "under the wing" of a public school system (like with driver's ed)?
    We are part of a group called "Arizona Families for Home Education (AFHE)" which hosts an annual convention, works closely with the "Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA www.hslda.org)" and performs graduation ceremonies for Junior High graduates and Senior High graduates. Pretty much any homeschooler as a resident in Arizona can join the group. There are some rules, such as, you have to be actually homeschooled, not Virtual Academy or anything like that. It's a great way to connect with homeschoolers across the state!

So yeah...that's how. We just register some info about me to be put in the programs, buy the cap and gown from them, show up for the rehearsal with a bazillion other students...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by learnerwithapassion View Post
    I know that some homeschoolers graduate under their charter school. I am an independent homeschooler, so the most I could do is throw myself a graduation party, which I could, but I probably won't.I'm waiting for when I graduate from whichever music conservatory I end up going to. That's when I'll party DDD It's all a matter of opinion though.
    Sounds like a plan! I have several friends who don't really want to do anything for their Senior High graduation either.

Established Member
    I couldn't graduate, the only way i could actually get a diploma is to go to a school and get the required 309 credits. I might go to community college when I'm 16, then I'd have a two year degree when most people have a high school diploma.

Established Member
    I'm doing a slightly small party, but I guess it's not too small since I invited, like, 112 people... haha I know for a FACT over half will not be coming, but I had to invite them anyway! :-P I'm wearing a pretty dress and we're decorating my church's youth center in black and different shades of teal blue! It's soooo pretty! We'll probably have some dancing going on, lots of pictures (we'll be setting up a photo booth), and tons of finger foods! I think my mom wants to say a few words too, and I might as well, but I'm not really sure! My mom is putting together a table or two of my accomplishments, the focus being on my book and website and speaking and stuff like that! I'm actually excited about it!

Quote Originally Posted by kaitlyn View Post
    I'm doing a slightly small party, but I guess it's not too small since I invited, like, 112 people... haha I know for a FACT over half will not be coming, but I had to invite them anyway! :-P I'm wearing a pretty dress and we're decorating my church's youth center in black and different shades of teal blue! It's soooo pretty! We'll probably have some dancing going on, lots of pictures (we'll be setting up a photo booth), and tons of finger foods! I think my mom wants to say a few words too, and I might as well, but I'm not really sure! My mom is putting together a table or two of my accomplishments, the focus being on my book and website and speaking and stuff like that! I'm actually excited about it!
    Wow, that sounds really awesome, Kaitlyn!!! I'm sure you'll have a blast. Congrats!!