Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ajones20

Thread: Planning for CC? Look into Continuing Ed.

Planning for CC? Look into Continuing Ed.

"Continuing Education" is just the term my school uses to refer to late-night classes. Generally only twice a week and two to four hours per class, these sessions don't count toward much on a curriculum transcript, but they're EXCELLENT - especially for homeschoolers easing their way into college. Let me tell you why.

First off: night classes are always smaller than day classes. The students are usually people who are currently working and just trying to finish a degree in the meantime or are picking up college later on. The instructors can devote more assistance to each person as they try to learn the material.

Secondly: everyone is pretty awesome! When they aren't sleepy, of course :P The only term I can use to describe the night class students I've been around is "passionate." Generally hobbyists who want to improve their skillsets (like many homeschoolers I know, just much older). Same goes for the teachers: hobbyists working in the field, most of the time, without the schedule for a full-on curriculum workload.

Third(ly?): They are so much less stressful than normal classes. Sure, they count toward your GPA, but the focus is on learning, not getting grades. When you come out of a continuing ed. class, you shouldn't be asking, "was that A worth the time and money?" You should be asking, "how much did I learn and when can I start applying it?"

There's lemon classes, like always, but night classes are great, relaxed ways to build your skillset and ease into homeschool. I'm taking Security+ this summer, and it's great fun so far. Network security is a field that doesn't seem to die, huh Probably should have made this a blog article!
    kaitlyn, snippets and tiallarising like this.

Established Member
    haha, this would've been a really great blog article! I think it's a really good idea (though what my brain actually means is "fun idea") to take night classes if they're like that! It sounds a lot nicer and less stressful - by the way you put it, at least!

Sounds like a great idea, Andrew! I think I'll look into this... I would really enjoy a less stressful, and more-awesome class. And you're right - it would've been an awesome blog post.

Humorous follow up note: in my school, the continuing education teachers are almost always totally different than the curriculum (day class) teachers. Due to this, there's an implicit war in funding, space, etc between in the curriculum and con ed staffs. Of course, there's superiority, too: con ed is "not real college" and curriculum is "a bunch of stressful nonsense." It's like a secret on-campus civil war.

Haha wow...I never knew there was that much strife between teachers. I find the "not real college" very interesting, considering it sounds like night classes are in fact more beneficial to a person's education because of the lower stress level, and more interest-driven courses. XD People are interesting.