Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ajones20
  • 1 Post By Genius

Thread: Writing Tips...by You!

Writing Tips...by You!

I've just had an epiphany. About 90% of us on this forum are writers. So...why don't we exchange writing tips? I look forward to seeing what ya'll have to say!

***Write every day. Write when you want to. Write when you don't. Write when you have something to say. Write when you don't have anything. Just write. The mere act of forcing yourself to write can open up windows to possibilities you never thought of. Also, the more you write, the easier it will become to keep writing - you'll more easily slip into the "writer's mode" that's so evasive sometimes.

Good idea

***Said this a million times, but show, don't tell! If you ever write a sentence like: "Anastasia adored her father," ERASE IT. The best stories are the ones people ask questions about. Everyone who's watched Star Wars has an opinion about those characters not because they were well-explained but because they were poorly-explained with tiny hints, here and there, at more complex personalities.
    tiallarising likes this.

Great tip, Andrew! I am definitely still struggling to get this one myself...it's so much easier said than done! It's crazy hard to catch yourself when you're telling instead of showing. Sentences like "Anastasia adored her father" seem so natural - but you're right - we need to cut them, without mercy. I guess it's hard because telling, in a one sentence frame, takes a lot less time (and thought) than dropping subtle hints you hope your reader catches. It's definitely worth it in the end, though!

The thing is, and I feel this very strongly, is that there is no limit to the power of your imagination. Like the other day, I hit a writers block at my desk and was just staring blankly at the wall. On my wall is a board of postcards I have received from around the world. I started day dreaming of the various places it was sent from and then went deeper into the photos, imagining what it would be like to be in that exact same spot when the photograph was being taken or the place being painted. Voila! New blog idea.
    tiallarising likes this.

@Genius - That's great! I've found that is really is pretty easy to get out of writer's block if you just take some time and try to imagine new things out of the old. For example, looking at those postcards you see everyday, and imagining how it would actually be in the spot it was taken, what it would feel like, smell like, what's sounds you would hear, etc. If you think about, there are bazillions of things to keep our imagination going all the time! No reason to be bored, haha.