Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snippets

Thread: Reflecting on Homeschooling surprises/experiences?

Question Reflecting on Homeschooling surprises/experiences?

Being reflective because we are starting homeschooling High School and I was not planning, after more than 5 ys, to keep homeschooling. I would like to read from other people about their experiences of homeschooling.
    What surprised you about homeschooling? What was unexpected? Did it turn out pretty much the way you thought/planned it would?

I will answer my own questions, but I would love to read from others and their experiences. Here a few of our surprises/unexpected developments.
    From my child;

My son wanted “to do school”. I’m a fan of “unschooling”, but although he didn’t want to go to school (kids didn’t listen/care, teachers didn’t listen/care), he liked the information/structure given in school.
    Our “a-social nerd” child enjoys social contact in moderation. For a child that used to run from any child especially smaller than him, helping out with the younger kids, voluntarily, that was not expected. I have been told numerous times that a child like mine would have been teased in school. It is fascinating to see how socially, with limited but mainly positive peer contact, he has turned out so far.

From the environment;

The assumption that we are homeschooling for religious reasons and that we think public school is all negative.

We have received lots of good will, advice and support from teachers.

If people knew or found out he was homeschooled they often question him about “school” topics.
    Adults/kids would often say “You know so much/so polite, which school are you going to?” He would say “homeschooled”, often adults looked surprise. Kids would say “Oh that explains it.” J

I have been told a few weeks ago that I should be “open minded” by a person that only said ‘NO” to me. I knew he had said “Yes” to similar questions from other parents of school going kids.

I decided to be “open minded” and see if we could homeschool through Highschool
    J.
    Love to hear your experiences.

Super Moderator
    Peloha,

I will post your question on our Facebook page Sunday. It is very likely to get lots of responses there, so be sure to look for it. I will set it to post at 10:00a.m. EST.

https://www.facebook.com/highschoolhomeschool

Super Moderator
    No, it didn't turn out the way I expected it to at all. I thought it would be like when I was in the classroom, but better. It is nothing like being in the classroom!! It fits my child to a T. We are mostly unschoolers. We didn't start out that way, but we ended up that way and though it took me a year or two to get comfortable with it, I do like it. Do I still worry? You bet I do, but I know that pushing my child too much would be very negative for her.
    peloha likes this.