Thread: Does your teen?

Does your teen?

Hello...figured I would chime in with a little trend I have seen lately in my teen. Have you all been getting attitude from your kiddos?

First I have to say that my son (17) is a great big brother,helpful around the house, willing to do things for others, and has a big heart.

BUT he has lately been very vocal about not wanting to do Spanish and Math....stating that he isn't going to use them ever again! Which I feel is untrue and I have been trying to point out that he may just find that he does use Spanish down the road and well MATH he will always use something to do with Math out in the world.

Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has the same issue sometimes?
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

Established Member
    Yes, it happens around here, but more my daughter than my son. I chalk it up to normal teen quest for opinions and independence. I still insist on certain schoolwork, chores, etc. but try to give my teens some choice in other matters. As my mother told me, we'll be somewhat intelligent again when our own kids reach age 25.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Carol... I love what your mother told you. Mine do pretty well - but have their moments! Yes, I think that our perspective really changes once we have our own children!!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

I don't get much attitude. I've never put up with backtalk any from the time they were little. We do have a family meeting each week where I allow them to voice opinions on things they like...don't like or even share opinions on things I've done. One of my daughter's used to complain about math, but I haven't heard much complaint since I changed curriculum. Even when I give them the day off from school, they'll sometimes go ahead and do it to get ahead.

Robin, I agree... if we don't ever allow backtalk then it seems to not be an issue. We have six kids and never allowed it with the first and it seems that the others have followed suit. There has been a few "attempts" at a little sass... but met with a punishment (like being grounded) and it seems to squelch it! Yay!! The youngest is 9 - so we still have a ways to go!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!