Thread: Just curious... how many of us make our teens pay for their own cell phones?

Just curious... how many of us make our teens pay for their own cell phones?

This is a big question these days. So, just for my own personal reference... I am curious as to how many homeschool families buy their teens cell phones - and how many actually make them purchase their own cell phones and pay for their own service?
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Established Member
    My two share a Tracfone. We paid for the phone (very cheap version) and for the minutes. They pretty much only use it for emergencies or a quick check in when the weather is bad. If they used it excessively, we'd make them pay for the minutes.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Super Moderator
    Mine lost her phone several years ago and I refused to replace it. We do not have a land line, so I don't like her to be home or out without one. It is not in the budget at the moment, so she uses her grandfather's phone (he obviously doesn't use it). She can't text or surf on it. It is for calling only and she only calls us.

Mine has a regular flip phone on the family plan. There is no data plan or texting and she is good with that. At some point we may have to add a texting plan because no matter how many times you tell people you don't text (mainly because we don't have a plan and texts are 20 cents EACH) they still send you texts. Two months ago we accidently got on a football teams call/text list and ran up over 20 dollars in group texts. Fortunately, our provider reversed the charges. Anyway, at this point we have basic service instead of home phone service, so we pay for it.

Both of my teens have iPhones. It totals about $80/month for both. They share my data. I pay for it (we don't have a house phone and I want them to have phones when they leave). Minutes and texts are unlimited, so that's not an issue. My oldest has offered to pay her bill each month, but I just cover it at this point.

Thanks for so many replies... we have our oldest (18) on our plan right now... but she pays for her own portion of the bill each month. I use this as part of teaching her how to budget her money, and make her responsible for how she uses her phone. If she goes over her data... she is responsible to pay for it. Truthfully - she has been very diligent to make sure she doesn't!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!