Thread: Anyone out there with kids that are still struggling in spelling?

Anyone out there with kids that are still struggling in spelling?

Well i have one that's why I am asking..... We have been working on spelling since the beginning of our adventure @5 years ago. My now high schooler still scores about 5-6th grades in spelling... he has ADHD and learning delays in math and English (mainly writing and spelling).

I still used SpellingCity for his spelling and he seems to respond well to it but nothing ever sticks he has them in his head for about a week or two then makes the same spelling mistakes. Just wondering if I should still be worrying about it or just keep on trucking with what we can do and relay on spell check to get him thru the rest. (which I have to confess I use all the time!)
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

Super Moderator
    Sadly, my kiddo with dyslexia has never really progressed past a specific level in spelling either. It's been a couple years since we did the Woodcock-Johnson, but I would guess it's probably at about 5th-6th grade level also. He uses spell-check, predictive word processors, you name it - - any tool that will help him compensate. We've used every possible spelling remediation program there is, but it just doesn't seem to improve past a specific point. I take encouragement, though, from the tons of interviews I've read from highly successful people who admit that they can't spell worth a hoot.
    Creating this site has been a dream come true!! I hope it will be a help and encouragement to you in your homeschooling journey!!!

Sincerely,
    Kerry - Site Admin

My son is dyslexic and he still struggles with spelling also. So far he likes sequential spelling best. However, like your son, it seems hard for him to retain spelling words. I wish there was a magic switch for spelling

I have twins that really struggle with spelling. Using spelling city keeps their attention and helps them focus, but the best way to really get the words STUCK is to have them use as many senses as possible while studying the words. We write them while saying them aloud...this way they also hear the words too!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

i'm starting logic of english with my 9 yo next week, wish us luck

My son has learning disabilities including dyslexia so he will always score low on spelling no matter how hard he works (I'm dyslexic also so know this for a fact). As long as he uses spell check when he can and a dictionary the rest of the time that's all that really matters.

For dyslexic children / adults the best ways to make spelling 'click' is to not focus on it so much..take the pressure off..and #1 is read, read, read, read, read. I was several grade levels behind in reading / spelling / (all that) when I was diagnosed with dyslexia as a child and my teachers and parents tried every trick out there for it with me and I was trying not fighting it but the only thing that worked is me doing nothing BUT reading from 3rd grade to my junior year in high school (and largely still today) I lived with my head in any book I could get a hold of -- especially harder ones then my 'reading level'. Example: in the summer after my 7th grade year I read only one book: Anna Karina..it took all summer to struggle through it but I did it and increased my reading comprehension and improved my spelling some.

I have a kiddo with dylexia and dysgraphia. Spelling has always been such a struggle.
    One thing we noticed that really helped, him, was playing the game Boggle. We introduced it during family game night. At first he was very hesitant but we continued to be encouraging while take notice the words he attempted to spell were excellent words that most of us over looked. He's not a perfect speller but has made great strides.
    So, maybe some spelling type games outside of school time would help in your situation too.

thanks we have tried other spelling games like scrabble,etc. we are looking into Boggle NOW!! anything to help
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

Oh me! My 13 year old started 9th this year and on the last standardized test, she scored 7th grade level for spelling. Odd when she scored 10 grade and above for everything else (with vocabulary being off the charts). She reads very fast (and a lot) but for some reason can't spell very well.