Thread: Benefits of Umbrella Schools?

Benefits of Umbrella Schools?

Just thought that I would share with everyone something that I learned by trial and error...
    In our state, Georgia, if you are a homeschooler and qualify for the Georgia Hope scholarship you must enter your first year of college and pay for it yourself. Once you have proven that you are a good student and receive a 3.0 for your first year... you can then be reimbursed from the scholarship.

We thought that was the case with our daughter even though she submitted her courses to an umbrella school, and took dual enrollment classes with a local christian college. We did recently find out that she did qualify for the Georgia Hope Scholarship and was able to get the funds in her first year due to the fact that her transcripts were from a "school" program and not just made by a parent.

Part of me is a bit irritated by this logic. Why are transcripts legitimate coming from an umbrella school, but have to be proven if created by a parent? Yet, the other side of me is thankful that we did use the umbrella program and that it was beneficial for her.

Do any of you have other stories about the pros and cons of umbrella programs?
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Super Moderator
    We are also in Georgia and have had friends face that same issue. It's not fair, especially if the student's test scores are high (ACT, SAT).

I am happy for you though.

I definitely agree... I am hoping with the less restrictive homeschool policies that were put into effect this year... this might improve as well!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

I live in Alabama and really don't have a choice about an umbrella school. Our choice is umbrella school, or certified private teacher. I guess I like having an umbrella school since it keeps me from having to pass a teacher's exam to get certified, however, I like it better when I lived in Louisiana. There, I was my own "private" school and didn't have to follow any one else's rules! Unfortunately, the down side was that "non-accredited private schools" in Louisiana didn't qualify for TOPS (the scholarship program in LA). The other thing that was irritating was that homeschooled students had to score 2 points higher than public school students to be eligible for the same level of scholarship (had to make a 23 instead of a 21 for the same amount of money!!)

Thanks ladies for the great information...in NC we only have a small amount of things that are required to do. I haven't checked out the umbrella school or dual enrollment situation for my oldest, he simply wasn't ready. But after two years of taking classes outside the home I think he would do great!
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee