Thread: Difference between Highschool and previous years?

Question Difference between Highschool and previous years?

Is homeschooling High school different than the first 8th grades?

Love to read about the differences, if any.

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Since homeschooling is so unique to each child and each family, I would say yes. I think homeschooling pre-k through 8th grade is more hands-on and parent guided, in my opinion. My daughter is in high school now and she is very independent in her studies. We still kinda unschool, so she takes the lead.

Established Member
    I agree with Snippets, at least in our situation. My two are very independent in their studies. I plan their US history (Zinn combined with Read Like a Historian website). Also, I help once in a while with their math and chemistry (former high school math and science teacher background) and proof an English paper once in a great while, but that's about it.

The biggest difference is that I'm far more guidance counselor than teacher at this point. Writing transcripts and course descriptions and helping with college searches use more of my time now than before.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Quote Originally Posted by peloha View Post
    Is homeschooling High school different than the first 8th grades?

Love to read about the differences, if any.

Thanks!

There is a huge difference. For one thing, teaching math (my nemesis) is more of a pain. Math has never been my strong suit so when the kids were younger, I relied on games like Cool Math Games for Kids - Fun 3D Virtual World Online - Math Blaster to help them (and myself) understand basic concepts. Everything is on a whole new level in Highschool.

The kids are less inclined to listen or learn. There are mood swings to deal with that aren't present when they're younger. Just the occasional tantrum. That being said, highschoolers are more aware of being laughed at and so want to do better in School. What do you think the differences are? I'm curious to hear your point of view.
    Last edited by Genius; 12-04-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Yes, I agree the subject matter is a bit more complex. However, there are course options such as T4L highschool that can make it simpler for the parents.

The attitudes and hormones...etc... just depend on the kiddo themselves. I have six and some do and some don't! LOL!!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!