Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ged?

Ged?

Anyone planning a GED? I wondered what thoughts everyone had on that?
    We are definitely doing the "mom diploma/transcripts" instead of a GED. What do you think the benefits of a GED are?
    I think a lot of parents don't know that they don't have to push their kids towards a GED. You can give your child a perfectly acceptable diploma that states they finished the course of study you had set for them. AND, it's accepted by colleges.

My daughter is looking at Mary Baldwin College and they are very homeschool friendly. We like that!

Some kids go for the GED because of the military, others do it because the parent hasn't or wasn't able to keep records...
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

I've been going back and forth on the GED for some time, and have not come to a decision. I've heard arguments both ways, but not enough to aid my decision making. I'll be interested to hear others' views here.

We are not going thee ged route. we have kept good records here and dd would have to be 18 before she could even apply for it here in New Brunswick. By then she is hoping to be almost done her trade school. The only ones here who want a ged is the military and foreign universities.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.j View Post
    Some kids go for the GED because of the military, others do it because the parent hasn't or wasn't able to keep records...
    That's a good point!

My mother thinks I should have my kids do the GED but my skin crawls and my toes dig in deep when I hear this. Her reasons are the fact that my brother and I were both homeschooled and while I went on to college at Pensacola Chrisitian without a hitch, my brother didn't immediately go to college. Fast forward many years and he wanted to go to the state college and work part time on getting an Associate's degree. The state college wouldn't accept him unless he had a GED. Now it's been many years since he finished school and he had to study harder than he would have in order to take the test. She thinks my kids should just take the test right away -- what harm could it do is her thought. Me...my attitude makes me want to buck the system (hence I homeschool) and say that my kids are getting a better education at home than a GED would show and in no way am I going to lower these years of hard work to the level of the GED. Now...that's my hot air talking but in the end, I think the more important aspect of high school is the transcript, not so much the paper diploma at the end. If I have a thorough transcript for my kids, I see no problem with them getting into colleges and if they did have a problem, I'd be the first in line to fight for their rights to be accepted just like anyone else with a paper diploma.

Just my two cents...or more. LOL

@klhenn...you summed it up perfectly!

they don't need a GED that's for drop outs. If the parents have kept records of what all they took (1 year biology, 2 years chemistry, 4 years English..etc) that's all they need. You can make your own 'high school diploma'. I think there are no benefits for a GED. A employer or most colleges/universities will accept a home school diploma over a GED since GED has long been used by high school drop outs to later 'finish high school'.

Quote Originally Posted by Klhenn View Post
    My mother thinks I should have my kids do the GED but my skin crawls and my toes dig in deep when I hear this. Her reasons are the fact that my brother and I were both homeschooled and while I went on to college at Pensacola Chrisitian without a hitch, my brother didn't immediately go to college. Fast forward many years and he wanted to go to the state college and work part time on getting an Associate's degree. The state college wouldn't accept him unless he had a GED. Now it's been many years since he finished school and he had to study harder than he would have in order to take the test. She thinks my kids should just take the test right away -- what harm could it do is her thought. Me...my attitude makes me want to buck the system (hence I homeschool) and say that my kids are getting a better education at home than a GED would show and in no way am I going to lower these years of hard work to the level of the GED. Now...that's my hot air talking but in the end, I think the more important aspect of high school is the transcript, not so much the paper diploma at the end. If I have a thorough transcript for my kids, I see no problem with them getting into colleges and if they did have a problem, I'd be the first in line to fight for their rights to be accepted just like anyone else with a paper diploma.

Just my two cents...or more. LOL

I agree! GED is lower then homeschool or traditional high school

rebeccab

Please make the effort to be a little sensitive with the wording you choose to post. I believe it is unfair, judgmental and not supportive to generalize those who may need to go the GED route as "drop outs."
    There are a number of reasons people may choose to use a GED. Does not necessarily mean they are a drop out of unintelligent.
    I have not selected this route for my kids that have completed high school but do know families that did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast