Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kerry

Thread: How do you handle??

How do you handle??

Well I have a 16 year old son...who I am trying to get motivated to do his lessons without as much help from me as I have in the past. I want him to become more independent since he is older..I know every child is different (fact I can see from my 11 year old who can totally go off and pick up something and run with it). I feel like I am failing him by not making him do more things on his own OR at least make him come to me to help instead of me coming to him to find out if he needs it.

Any help from my fellow mamas or dads or grandparents, etc. would be great!!
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

Super Moderator
    I'm experimenting this year with a "Syllabus", much like what they receive in college. At my older son's community college, they have an online syllabus that tells them what is due and when it's due. So, I've created that via a Google Spreadsheet for my homeschooler. Each course that he's taking has its own "syllabus" and it lets him know what is due and when it's due. (This is only for specific subjects where he is doing traditional coursework - - we have other areas where he is just following his own lead - - sort of unschooling according to his bigger interests) There is a place in the syllabus for him to "Upload" his work, which means sharing it with me via Google Drive. I go in and check a couple times a week to make sure he's on task. For the first semester of the year, I was actually reminding him of things he was behind on. This semester, just as they would in Community College, I'm docking his grade if anything is turned in late. He HATES poor grades, so he is getting pretty good at remembering! I don't know if this process would work for everyone, but it's giving me a little more hope that my son will be prepared if he chooses the college route.

Quote Originally Posted by pandahoneybee View Post
    Well I have a 16 year old son...who I am trying to get motivated to do his lessons without as much help from me as I have in the past. I want him to become more independent since he is older..I know every child is different (fact I can see from my 11 year old who can totally go off and pick up something and run with it). I feel like I am failing him by not making him do more things on his own OR at least make him come to me to help instead of me coming to him to find out if he needs it.

Any help from my fellow mamas or dads or grandparents, etc. would be great!!
    ksb427 likes this.
    Creating this site has been a dream come true!! I hope it will be a help and encouragement to you in your homeschooling journey!!!

Sincerely,
    Kerry - Site Admin

love that idea!! Now to get my ADD brain to make up a spreadsheet this weekend Thanks Kerry !
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee