Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle current events?

How do you handle current events?

My children generally don't watch the news, so I find I have to clue them in on what's going on in the world.

How do you handle keeping your young teens up to date with current events? Do you have special news sites, newspapers (I know we had one when we were in school -- late 80s) or do you allow them to watch the news and view the major news websites?

My kids usually have a book that they write something in once a day. usually about the news( paper) or that they saw on the tv. When they do it everyday it seems to only take a second for them to write it down.
    HSing mom to 3 fantastic children ...DD1 15.5( grade 12), DS 14 ( grade 8), and DD2 9(grade 3).

This is what I remember from school: Weekly Reader

My kids get the God's World News magazines and I love them! My 12 year old is up on current events quite nicely. My 10 year old couldn't care less. Different personalities but at least the magazine has exposed her to things she wouldn't normally have thought about. I do talk to my son about what is going on in the world so while he might not watch it on TV, he does hear about it -- like the movie theatre massacre etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    This is what I remember from school: Weekly Reader
    I just got a sample of a Weekly Reader in the mail today and thought it was a good resource for basic info. I had my 5th grader read it and tell me about it.

For my 13 yr old I was surprised at how much news he picks up from Yahoo. He reads the headlines and mentions them to me weekly. I've been having him scan the paper more often lately just to see what he picks up and asks questions about. It's really interesting to see what he zeros in on
    Full-time mom of a 13yr old serious guy, 10 yr old DIVA, 7yr old thrill seeker, and 3 yr old charmer.
    Lover of books, the ocean, and a good deal

My kids are 13 and 16, and we're all news junkies. They have apps for all sorts of new sources on their iThings, and for a major part of the day the TV in our living room is on one of the news channels. I think it's very important for them to keep up with what's going on in the world. One of my pet peeves is how so many Americans pay more attention to sports, celebrity gossip and reality shows than they do to the important issues that will potentially have a large impact on their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Klhenn View Post
    My kids get the God's World News magazines and I love them!
    We love God's World News also. And I believe there are different levels. There's elementary, middle and high school, I think. We've been getting them for years. They always have interesting news, too. Even my husband and I enjoy reading them.

I don't generally watch the news. But my oldest has his own Facebook account. He was the one who told ME about the tragedy in Sandy Hook. We usually have open honest discussions about things that are happening in the world. Now that all three of my kids are getting older, we don't feel like we have to "shield" them as much as we used to.

I remember the Weekly Reader! I always called it the "Wiggly Reader" LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast