Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Inmom

Thread: Slowly learning a subject & record keeping

Slowly learning a subject & record keeping

So I have a student that is learning Algebra I, but it's been slow going. As in, he's taking a week to thoroughly master an area that our text book would have him breeze through in a single day. So, while he is learning the subject, I have no doubt that we'll still be in Algebra I by the start of next year. My question then, is how would people recommend I record this for a transcript? I can't say He took Algebra I in the first year and Algebra II in the second (since that implies a completely different and higher level class), but I don't want it to seem like he failed the subject in the first year and had to re-take it...

Established Member
    You can just use "Date Completed" for each course and still assign it a typical one year credit. I'm doing something similar for Photography for my daughter. In terms of hours spent, she'll have completed a year's worth of class, but she did it over two. On the transcript it will look like she did it in the second year. Make sense?
    Genius likes this.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

I, too, was wondering about this. My daughter is 8th grade (in some courses), 9th grade in others. She is skipping 8th grade math, so she is taking Algebra I as the second semester course for 8th grade, probably running through the summer and into her 9th grade year. I want to make sure that I record it so that it counts as a high school math, not as a middle school math. I like the idea of completion date. Thanks!

Same problem here...I supplemented for my now 11th grader (who just doesn't get math). 9th grade we did accounting, 10th grade personal finance and pre-algebra now we are SLOWLY doing algebra 1. I am not worried we will get through algebra 2 and or geometry next year He is doing a combination of online program (through Time4learning's high school program) and Algebra Made Easy book. We have also done Hands On Math,and many others like Life of Fred (none of these took a whole year)..
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

I was wondering the same thing. Recording date started and date completed is a really good idea! I'm going to try it!
    I use online educational games to supplement my child's education.