Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pandahoneybee
  • 1 Post By snippets
  • 1 Post By onebzmomma

Thread: Well we bought the "farm"...wondering how to ????

Well we bought the "farm"...wondering how to ????

Well we did indeed buy a farm house...as my very good friend joked that I had "Bought the Farm".
    IMG_1080.jpg
    BUT after this weekend of demo I feel like I am about to "kick the bucket"!!! To be honest, it was a very full day for me and the boys Friday, add hubby on Saturday and in the afternoon on Sunday. I have pains where I didn't know I had muscles...we ALL DO!

Ok so to my question!! Hoping that there are more creative people then I am...I want to make this some kind of credit for my oldest... He helped us demo this weekend, he has cleaned stables, taken down fencing etc SO FAR. There will be a lot more of hands on things, which he hasn't ever really had before! I did a search to see if there was a "Farm or Agricultural" Credit I could give him BUT most of them deal with animals and farming the land which we are at least a year away from being able to do. He has had to do a lot of problem solving with the demo end because we are the types of people to try and reuse or donate anything worth saving. Proud of ourselves we saved a lot of full pieces of tile that the ReHab store is going to love!

Any thoughts??? Its not like he isn't going to have plenty of the normal credits but with his desire to work with animals in some way I thought why not see if we can't put something on his transcript that makes him stand out a little

THANKS ALL!
    Last edited by pandahoneybee; 03-18-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

Established Member
    Here's an article that might help you get ideas: Bay High School instructor teaches students value of reusing materials | cleveland.com

Here are the first two paragraphs of the article:

Students in teacher Luke Kieffer’s pre-engineering and home construction classes at Bay High School not only learn woodworking and metalworking skills, but they learn about repurposing materials.

Kieffer, the school’s technology education teacher, puts an emphasis on salvaging materials for projects instead of buying new materials. Part of his reasoning stems from a personal commitment to reducing waste — and part of it has to do with economic realities.

The class was a pre-engineering and construction class. If he is also going to do some building in the future, maybe this might work?
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Thanks Carol! I have been checking into anything I can think of so that we can make a class out of making the place into a working farm..Might take until he graduates to make it reality! Another weekend of demo fun...and I am glad to have the rest today, well rest from swinging the sledge hammer and paint brush

thanks again for your ideas I am going to put those on the to do list to search out more info!
    ― Dr. Seuss

Well figured I would update you all!! I have started to think about adding animals to the farm! We are thinking of guineas and goats. For obvious reasons..guineas are known for eating ticks, and well they are everywhere here!! And the goats are needed to help put the overgrowth in check! I am having the oldest do my research for me on both, plan on using all those research papers as another animal science credit! I will post some pics when we get the newest additions to the farm
    ― Dr. Seuss

Super Moderator
    We have both on our farm. Guineas also help keep snakes down, and they are watchbirds. Nobody will come near the place that you won't know about.

Right now, we have 22 keats in the brooding house. We will transition them to an enclosed, outside pen soon, and then finally they will join the rest of our guineas in the open once they know this is home.

Our goats do a good job clearing brush, sometimes too good a job. They will eat the bark off the trees! One of our goats is a fainting goat. Her name is Bambi because when she was a baby, she looked like Bambi...speckled nose and all. Three are pygmy goats, so they are smaller. Lucy, sannan cross, was our bottle baby. She is spoiled rotten!

Can't wait to hear about what all you get.

Jackie

A little update...we are going to be getting two FREE goats to help with all the over growth!! Plus I had the boys help make a temporary pen for them and since they don't like to get wet they have a stall in the barn to hide out from the rain. Funny thing my two city boys acted like they didn't enjoy putting up the fence but when they told their dad about it later that night they were proud and excited. UMMMM
    snippets likes this.
    ― Dr. Seuss

Super Moderator
    Good luck with the fencing. ") Our goats LOVE to break out of jail whenever they can. We have electric netting and regular fencing both in place. Wish we could afford to go with all electric netting. When they break free they love to check the outside chicken feeders first, then mosey on toward mischief. They have been known to jump on top of the car a time or two and knock at the back door. They will usually follow the feed bucket back to their pen though.
    Inmom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by snippets View Post
    Good luck with the fencing. ") Our goats LOVE to break out of jail whenever they can. We have electric netting and regular fencing both in place. Wish we could afford to go with all electric netting. When they break free they love to check the outside chicken feeders first, then mosey on toward mischief. They have been known to jump on top of the car a time or two and knock at the back door. They will usually follow the feed bucket back to their pen though.
    WOW now I am wondering if our fencing is going to hold...still waiting for the goats. The free part means when it is convenient for the other person we have tons of acres that they could get into trouble with..coyotes being the biggest fear for now. Still needing to clear the brush from the fields but one $$ thing at a time! I need to hold off on any other animals until I have their homes built..goats are getting a stall in the barn and recycled fencing thanks for the warning though! means we will have to check in on them a lot!
    ― Dr. Seuss

You could call it an occupational living credit. the state I live in actually required this credit to graduate.
    snippets likes this.