Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What did your 9th grader do for science?

What did your 9th grader do for science?

Physical science? Biology? Chemistry?

I am not that old, but I can't remember what order I did them in high school. I've read that Chemistry should come before Biology? But definitely after Algebra 1?

answer

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Physical science? Biology? Chemistry?

I am not that old, but I can't remember what order I did them in high school. I've read that Chemistry should come before Biology? But definitely after Algebra 1?

My son is a 9th grader and first year home schooler. We are doing closer to 'unschool' then the traditional homeschool. For his science we do some biology and lots of space science since that's what he is most interested in. If you 9th grader isn't "I hate school" (from burn out, bad teachers, boring school, loss of self esteem etc) then I would do Biology. I don't get why some think chemistry should come first you don't even need chemistry to understand biology (I say this because I have next to zero chemistry background and I am finishing a bachelors in science IN biology!)

the order that is idea, I think, for a school science curriculum is:
    freshman/9th grade: geology / earth science OR biology (or both)
    sophomore/10th grade: general chemistry I
    junior / 11th grade: biology I (or biology II)
    senior / 12th grade: general chemistry II OR physics I

If your child loves science and can learn go through the courses faster without burn out and with plenty of comprehension then do more.
    Robin likes this.

Biology first and then chemistry is the way I did it in high school. The high school here offers microbiology also. Biology is a prerequisite for microbiology and I am not sure for geology. The more math before you start chemistry, the better. I think we will wait for junior year for chemistry and do it at the junior college. That will give dd time to get through intermediate algebra before chemistry. So we will go with biology, microbiology as a dual enrolled student at the high school, geology at home if dd is interested in it. I am thinking she might be more interested in gemology lol. And then we will do chemistry.
    Robin likes this.

I've been reading that there is no biology in chemistry, but some chemistry in biology. Obviously I am clueless on sciences.

Super Moderator
    We've always been a little "off" because of having 2 so close together. We always combined science between both boys, so while one was probably doing science in the "right" order, the other never was. But I remember when I was in high school it was 9th - Physical Science, 10th- Biology, 11th - Chemistry. I stayed far, far away from physics in high school.
    Robin likes this.
    Creating this site has been a dream come true!! I hope it will be a help and encouragement to you in your homeschooling journey!!!

Sincerely,
    Kerry - Site Admin

Established Member
    At the ps here, 9th is Bio, 10th is Chem, 11th/12th is physics. Students who are interested/college bound take second levels of these. There is also environmental science and physiology and anatomy.

Personally, we do things "out of order" here while homeschooling. My kids are ahead of the game in math and like Kerry, very close in age so a lot of courses they do at the same time. My dd's order is 9th - bio, 10th - physics. For my son, he did high school level geology in 8th grade, and now physics with his sister for 9th grade.

Next fall they're signed up for chemistry for dual credit at the local university. After that, I'm guess my daughter might take a non-quantitative astronomy course there. My son will still take biology at home with me. Maybe after that he'll do another level of physics for dual credit. Who knows? We just go with a combo of what works and interests them.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

You've gotten a lot of replies, but I'll add my own too.
    9th - Physical Science
    10th- Biology
    11th - Chem
    12th - Physics

You can do these in any order (if you wish to do them all), but there is an increasing level of math required. Physical Science and Biology generally don't need more than regular arithmetic. Chemistry needs the basics of Algebra (probably pre-algebra would work) and Physics you need to be very familiar with Algebraic concepts. So, rather than needing to take the sciences in any order based on one subject leading into another, I'd say that's not really the case, but the math needed becomes increasingly more difficult.

In highschool we did chemistry, biology, physics and math together. Meaning we'd start of all subjects but beginning with basics and then progressing. You don't really need to understand one in order to understand the other so as far as I can see (and I could be wrong), order does not matter.

Not meaning to derail this thread......but I do have a question. My DC is in middle school right now. I'm trying to map out what we should be doing when. I'm flexible if something changes, but I really would like to at least have an idea as to what we should be preparing for. She's leaning toward going into the medical field for something along the lines of x-ray tech, ultra-sound tech, possibly pharmacy tech, maybe dietician. So with that info, what should our lineup for high school be for science? I know she needs to cover Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and is it Calculus(?) next (for math). The reason I ask about science is that I want to make sure I have the sequence correct and after three sciences should she do a year of A & P. (?) Like one of the posters stated above, I'm totally clueless about science. Thank-you. Hope I worded that correctly.

Established Member
    As others have stated, there really isn't an order you need to do science. My son has done his in backwards order than most ps kids. He did geology in 8th (using college text and lab book), physics in 9th, chemistry in 10th (dual credit at university), and is now doing biology at home. Next year he'll do astronomy and more physics at the university.

With your daughter's interests, though, I would definitely have her dive into the biology and chemistry. Does she have an idea where she'd like to go to school? Sometimes researching admission requirements helps guide you. For example, for my son's interests, the colleges he's looking at want at least 3 years lab science, all different. My daughter's future university only wanted two for her major.
    Carissa likes this.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast