Thread: Chemistry??

Established Member

Chemistry??

I've been looking for a chemistry course for my high schoolers. Specifically, this is what we're looking for:

1) Something demanding but not quite AP level

2) Includes labs with relatively safe, not-too-pricey chemicals

3) For the most part independenty done by the student

I'm also considering a dual credit course at the local university but don't know how difficult it would be. I guess I could ask to sit in on a class or two.

Please, tell my what you have used and what you like or don't like.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Carol, we've used Apologia Chemistry and liked it very much. We use Apologia for all our sciences. Apologia has CD lectures or online classes. My daughter did Biology and Chemistry in a classroom setting with a group of 7 other homeschool kids.
    Another option is Bob Jones Chemistry. Also CD lectures or online classes. And yet another option is The Potters School. Potters School is difficult to get in, but I've heard great things about it. They start offering classes in April. They offer first to military families. The things to consider with these options if you use CD lectures, you can set your own schedule. Online classes, I believe you have to follow their schedule. Also, online classes are pretty pricey. I've only used Apologia, but I've heard good things about all three of these options. Dual credit with the college is a good option because you're earning credit in college and it may be cheaper in the long run. I don't know what state you're in, but our kids can dual enroll for no cost...except the cost of the books, which is our responsibility.
    I hope that helps.

Super Moderator
    Carol,

We did NOEO Chemistry in middle school and loved it, so I just knew there would be some good secular program out there for high school chemistry. I didn't find it. As much as I wanted to love Science for High School, I didn't. If I could have afforded Thinkwell, I probably would have gone that route, but it was just too pricey for me. I really haven't heard enough reviews of Friendly Chemistry to be able to say one way or another on that one. If you have the option of dual-enrolling for that course, I would highly recommend it. I feel like Chemistry is one of the toughest courses to do at home because of the expense. My older son is doing Chemistry at community college this year and even though it is very tough, he has learned SO much. Wishing you the best!
    Creating this site has been a dream come true!! I hope it will be a help and encouragement to you in your homeschooling journey!!!

Sincerely,
    Kerry - Site Admin

Established Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I worked with the university where they are already taking dual credit classes and have them signed up for Chemistry for next fall. I just wanted to make sure they were ready for it! Luckily, one of my former tutoring students is also a student there so she could give me an opinion from a student's point of view.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

thanks for the great question Carol!! I was just wondering about the Chemistry subject as well...planning ahead for next year! And a big thanks to the others who answered as always a great resource for those of us not quite there yet
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

I just wanted to chime in... we also have used Apologia for all our science. Let me just say, the chemistry, physics, etc... really prepared our daughter for college. It was great. We didn't take it this far, but I would think it would definitely prepare a highschooler to take the CLEP exam and get college credit for their highschool science. My daughter isn't especially "gifted" in science, but the books were written so well that she was able to this independently.
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Hi All,

This is slightly off topic but I haven't found another thread that is related at all. I am looking for some extra help in Chemistry for our dd(17). Do you know of a website that offers tutoring or extra help in Chem 1? We live outside of the US so finding an actual person that can tutor/help is proving quite difficult.

Thanks for any help!

Our favorite for help is Khan Academy... We use it right along with our math/science studies - you can just search for the topic you are on and there is an awesome video to explain it!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Thank you Jamie! A friend just told us about Khan. We are just in the set up stage and I was wondering if we could search by topic, glad to hear we can!

I also highly recommend Khan Academy! Their videos are excellent, along with the community!!