Thread: Coursera?

Coursera?

Has anyone tried this? I am intrigued.

Coursera.org

I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting. I think it's probably one of those things you would have to have your student try, to see if it's a good fit.

Established Member
    My daughter just completed the Science Fiction and Fantasy course. She liked it, but it was a LOT of work. It was also peer reviewed, which made for some strangeness sometimes.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Thanks Carol, good to know. I am thinking about the intro to sociology. If we go ahead with it we will be ready to put some of her other stuff aside for a bit.

We used it once, but kept that course as an elective.
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

I've tried it myself alongside DS and we've both loved it. Yes, it's free and yes you get a certificate but it isn't easy. You have to be active on the forum, have your projects peer reviewed, listen to video lectures, do supplementary reading etc. It's great if you can stick it out. And has some of the most interesting topics!
    I use online educational games to supplement my child's education.