Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Genius

Thread: Foreign Languages...

Super Moderator

Foreign Languages...

I'm looking for help...my 9th grader wants to learn Italian. I know it's not mainstream, and I really did try to get him interested in something that is spoken more prevalently, but he is dead set. He wants to be a chef and is determined to study and intern in Italy.

Anyway, I know the first language program that gets suggested is usually Rosetta Stone, and I'm sure it's a wonderful program. But honestly, it's just out of our budget range right now.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a solid foreign language program that they have used successfully, that's a little less expensive than Rosetta Stone?

Thanks so much for any help!
    Katie

We went to the library they have a ton of audio cds on learning new languages.

There are tons of free sites...I don't think they go as through as a whole curriculum but they can be a great start! Here is one site I found Learn Italian - Italian Language - ZapItalian
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

Hi Katie...
    Here is a great resource for finding a LOW COST or free language programs! There are lots of language choices here as well!

Homeschoolers Guide to Teaching Foreign Language

Latin is a good place to start in preparation for a foreign language...

...but here are some Italian links...

The BBC language courses

Free Italian Language Learning Resources

Italian lessons

Sometimes, we can put together a few resources to make the comprehensive course that we are looking for!

Hope this was what you were looking for!!
    Last edited by Jamie; 12-26-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Well, I can't help with Italian. But my daughter is taking French through this site and it's FREE, (Shared German 1) so I thought I'd add it here in case that helped anyone else. They also offer Spanish, Latin, and German.
    Homeschooling Mom to 5 - Visit me at NUTRITION FOR HEALTHY KIDS - resources and lesson plans to teach about nutrition and health!

I use a website called Duolingo. It's free but it's really efficient. I previously tried live mocha but it proved to be really confusing and just like any other social networking site. Duolingo is clean and easy to navigate. There is also a Learn by podcast series for foreign languages where you can pick up spoken french/italian/spanish etc. Google - Learn French by podcast.
    Robin and Mrsstuckinthesand like this.