Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High school and what I am using so far..

High school and what I am using so far..

Well with my ADHD son who loves everything visual..
    Since he aged out of http://www.time4learning.com/ I had to find another program that matched that level of learning and could keep his interest! While not as inexpensive as http://www.time4learning.com/ it is the only program I found that works for us. http://www.elearningk12.com/ they have all the basic courses for high school plus electives.
    We also have weekly music lessons and art lessons from dad (artist).
    He also develops game levels using the free http://www.unrealengine.com/.
    Typing, Spanish (through a local Spanish teacher),basketball (through our community center), swim teams (local swim club) Volunteering at Noah's Landing ( local small zoo) round out what we are doing this year.
    We may add more to it but that's what we are starting with in September.

For the rest of the summer we are doing a more relaxed schedule with geography with a religions add in, writing class, music and swim lessons.

What are you all doing?
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

We have used Khan academy and Mit online as a base for DD's high school classes. For the classes we took the curricilum from the standard high school here and tweaked it for her. We also added music ( guitar) and Art along with a PE course. She is quite happy with the way her classes are going and with both sites as a stepping stone she can learn as fast as she wants.

My 9th grader is using Oak Meadow for Science, History, & English. Math-U-See. Spanish through an online class at OSU. Outisde classes-Philosophy and Music. This Fall we will be doing a Nutrition class from The Great Courses. Swim Team and Ballroom Dancing covers Phys ed.

We still have a few weeks of summer left here. School officially starts the Wednesday after Labor Day. Right now I am just going through the books to make sure I have everything we need.

Super Moderator
    My son -- a junior - - is using Discovering Spanish for foreign language, Biology from Science for High School, writing classes from Time4Writing, Ancient History from CompleteCurriculum.com, Machinima (virtual film-making) using a textbook, and film classes from our local theater.

I love reading everyone's choices!

I'm just going to copy from my blog because I'm too lazy.

Some of the choices listed are optional or supplementary.

9th Grade 2012-2013
    English I – 1 credit:

Algebra 1 – 1 credit:

Biology – 1 credit:

Ancient History – 1 credit:

Japanese I – 1 credit:

Latin – 1 credit:

Art History – .5 credit:

Logic I – .5 credit:

Extras

• Karate
    • Bowling
    • Volunteering at library

Forgot to mention that we tried elearningk12, for a bit, but I think I'm too used to time4learning and it's awesome setup. LOL
    It just didn't meet my standards. The set up was so odd. They create a new window instead of using the regular Compass Learning window. The lessons end up stretched. Instead of using the built in reports, they create their own. I wanted to skip things, but had issues with it. I'm probably just being whiny and picky, but it didn't work for us.

Super Moderator
    We semi unschool, Michelle, and my daughter is ADHD. We use lots of life skills as well as Drive Thru History videos, Steck-Vaugh and her own blog for writing, fun forensic science hands-on lessons, various math resources including Teaching Textbooks, Use It! Don't Lose It! Daily Language (quick 5 question lessons), map and globe skills, logic, and a Pre-GED book to gauge where she needs to focus. She does lots on her own.

For my 9th grade son, we are using Algebra 1 (Teaching Textbooks), English 1 (Easy Grammar, Write Shop, reading and vocabulary), Science (Physical Science - Apologia), World Geography ( Visualize World Geography), Spanish 1 (Visual Spanish), Bible (Switched on Schoolhouse Bible Grade 9), Computer (Homeschool Programming Teen Coder) Phy. Ed (a variety of activities).

Amy
    Robin,

I'm curious how you use Spielvogel’s Western Civilization Online Companion. I'm planning on using Spielvogel's book as well this year but hadn't heard there was an online companion.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by snippets View Post
    We semi unschool, Michelle, and my daughter is ADHD. We use lots of life skills as well as Drive Thru History videos, Steck-Vaugh and her own blog for writing, fun forensic science hands-on lessons, various math resources including Teaching Textbooks, Use It! Don't Lose It! Daily Language (quick 5 question lessons), map and globe skills, logic, and a Pre-GED book to gauge where she needs to focus. She does lots on her own.
    WOW thanks for some extra ideas for Alex,Snippets! he does a lot on his own just...he does mostly the things that interest him more than the things he needs to get done
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast