Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High school and what I am using so far..

I love, love, love all the great resources you all just gave...YOU KNOW HOW HARD it is to get some of my local homeschoolers to give me a heads up on what they are using. I always got some vague answers like you know we are doing what he/she wants to do. Or can't remember the website that we are using at the moment. LOL THANKS everyone....threads like this are only going to help us all get through the high school years with all our hair and hopefully not all gray cuz I have another one in 5th grade!! hehe
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Forgot to mention that we tried elearningk12, for a bit, but I think I'm too used to time4learning and it's awesome setup. LOL
    It just didn't meet my standards. The set up was so odd. They create a new window instead of using the regular Compass Learning window. The lessons end up stretched. Instead of using the built in reports, they create their own. I wanted to skip things, but had issues with it. I'm probably just being whiny and picky, but it didn't work for us.

Have you heard about Uplifting Education
    I just found them not long ago. I looked and looked after timing out of time4learning.com (love them) for another Compass Learning website. Not only does your highschooler get compass learning, but also Family Time Fitness, World and I, Renzulli which provides so much including the personal educational plan and Discovering the real me" which is a Character education if you like that.
    There is a forum which I am hoping gets as busy as time4learnings forum is.
    At this page Weekly Guides you can find guides and that will be a time saver for me (Whew!)
    Any ways, check it out, you might like the set up, I know I sure do.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Robin,

I'm curious how you use Spielvogel’s Western Civilization Online Companion. I'm planning on using Spielvogel's book as well this year but hadn't heard there was an online companion.

Amy
    Yes, there is an online companion. I link to it in my post. We are just using it as our spine with some great books, writing assignments and other activities.

I've decided to use Human Odyssey (Spielvogel) instead of Western Civilization. I'm using it with my younger kids and it will just be easier if we are all doing the same thing. Plus I have a teacher companion for it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by collegecultivator View Post
    Have you heard about Uplifting Education
    I just found them not long ago. I looked and looked after timing out of time4learning.com (love them) for another Compass Learning website. Not only does your highschooler get compass learning, but also Family Time Fitness, World and I, Renzulli which provides so much including the personal educational plan and Discovering the real me" which is a Character education if you like that.
    There is a forum which I am hoping gets as busy as time4learnings forum is.
    At this page Weekly Guides you can find guides and that will be a time saver for me (Whew!)
    Any ways, check it out, you might like the set up, I know I sure do.
    I have heard of it. After my experience with elearningk12 (which was not bad, just not what I expected), I wasn't sure about shelling out so much money up front. I'd rather pay by the month. Wish they offered that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pandahoneybee View Post
    What are you all doing?
    Spanish - Rosetta Stone
    English - Literature, working our way through the Mensa list, with an essay after each book
    Biology - online through our school district, with labs from a retired biology teacher with some other hser's
    Geometry - honors class through our local high school
    American History, 20th century - Great Courses along with a history of fashion text (two research papers)
    Music - concert orchestra at a local private music school
    PE - Fencing

This is the plan for the year so far.

Coming late to the party. my son is 2E, 11th grade, our 4th year of homeschooling

English: literary lessons from Lord of the Rings - awesome complete curriculum

Science: Chemistry Matters from singaporemath.com: i am piecing together lessons because it does not come with a plan. i was going to also use the experiment book, just watching videos on youtube - but somehow I lost the book. I'm sure it will show up . . .

History:
    • we are going through Joy Hakim's History of US, with occasional stops for relevant videos and projects, occasional audiobooks in the car of historical fiction.
    • Orion also is reading Zinn's People's History, but that only has 20 chapters. I assign a chapter after we've covered that topic in Hakim, and he has to write a compare/contrast essay after each chapter
    • I think he will also be working through the intellego unit study for World Religions, and hopefully watching some Myth video series on youtube . . Campbell?

Math: right now he is reveiwing algebra with LOF, which he could not get through at all 2 years ago! Then we will go back to upper level singapore, year 3, but have to change series, as the one we were using was discontinued.

Music - we just joined the church choir together! He has a sax but we have trouble fitting that in . . .

Gym - martial arts, a homeschooling class (and walking the dog, and maybe some other workouts)

Other - he's on a Lego First Tech Challenge team, its his first year doing that, and hopefully it will be a good experience.

How much does elearningk12 cost

I can find nothing on the elearningk12 site that tells me how much it costs. Can you tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by pandahoneybee View Post
    Well with my ADHD son who loves everything visual..
    Since he aged out of Homeschool, Afterschool, Summer Study - Time4Learning I had to find another program that matched that level of learning and could keep his interest! While not as inexpensive as Homeschool, Afterschool, Summer Study - Time4Learning it is the only program I found that works for us. eLearningK12 they have all the basic courses for high school plus electives.
    We also have weekly music lessons and art lessons from dad (artist).
    He also develops game levels using the free Game Engine Technology by Unreal.
    Typing, Spanish (through a local Spanish teacher),basketball (through our community center), swim teams (local swim club) Volunteering at Noah's Landing ( local small zoo) round out what we are doing this year.
    We may add more to it but that's what we are starting with in September.

For the rest of the summer we are doing a more relaxed schedule with geography with a religions add in, writing class, music and swim lessons.

What are you all doing?

It was about 50 a month for the basic ones....if you contact them they will give you a break down the monthly costs for you hope this helps!
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

The new price is actually $80 for high school years. It used to be $50, but now it's $50 for elementary and middle school.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast