Thread: Outside (on campus) courses?

Outside (on campus) courses?

Anyone doing any on campus courses somewhere?

My oldest is finally old enough to participate in the local career center. It's going to be an amazing experience for her. She will spend 2.5 hours each day working on her passion (art). She'll also learn about marketing, packaging, interviewing for jobs, etc. After 2 years, she'll gain 6 elective credits and a lot of networking opportunities with the people in our area. We still have a small town feel around here and a lot of people hire local.

Established Member
    This is the third year my teens are taking dual credit courses. They attend a fairly small satellite campus of a state school. Almost all of the instructors are full professors, not teaching assistants. Also, the class size is small. Being a well-known Big 10 school, all of my dd's 24 credits will transfer to Univ of Iowa when she goes there in fall 2015. They've done well and learned a lot about college expectations while still living at home.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Wow Carol that sounds great! We dont have any really great small campuses for dual credit. We are trying the CLEP route. Hope to take.some tests this fall.
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Established Member
    I was looking at CLEP for them as well when they approached high school age. The advantage is that you study on YOUR time schedule, not someone else's. I'm sure my ds would have preferred some of his credits to be CLEP for that reason, but I'm glad they both got some college classroom experience before they go away to their "real" college.

Keep us posted on how they go. I don't know of anyone locally that has done CLEP.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science