Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psat?

Psat?

Hey, my son is a 16 yo 2E kid who i've been homeschooling since 8th grade. I have no intention of sending him to 4 year college right away, because he really does not have the maturity to handle it. I dropped out several times because i didnt know what i wanted and didnt have the skills needed to succeed.

My plan is to get him to take 1 community college class his first semester of his sr year, and if that goes well, 2 classes the next semester, then register full time at the community college. As of now, he will get a 2-year degree in something that qualifies him to do tech support, as he is intuitive with technology and loves helping people. Then when he's had time to mature, figure out what he wants to do with his life, and take real responsibility for it, he can go back to a 4-year degree.

He is a Jr this year, and we did not do the PSAT last year, but I am feeling like we should this year. Neither ds nor dh are particularly supportive, but will acquiesce to my decision.

Personally i did really well on these tests. My daughter did ok. I guess he might not need it at all, but I also wonder if, maybe if he did really well, it would help him get in to a 4 year program later?

any feedback/thoughts/ideas?

Super Moderator
    If you are planning on having him start out at community college, and possibly even do a 2 year degree there before transferring, then it's likely that 4-yr colleges will look more closely at his grades at CC than at a PSAT he took while still in high school. My son had to take several placement tests when he started CC via dual-enrollment, and he tested really well in those. Those placement tests, as I understand it, are also available to colleges who request them. I think I would just have him take the CC placement tests in place of a PSAT.
    Creating this site has been a dream come true!! I hope it will be a help and encouragement to you in your homeschooling journey!!!

Sincerely,
    Kerry - Site Admin

But what about SAT? i dont think my daughter ever showed hers to anyone, but it still feels like we should at least make the effort

What is it you are wanting to accomplish with the test?

MY ADVICE... ON PSAT (yes, screaming)... MAKE THEM TAKE IT JUNIOR YEAR.. I didn't, and A TON of the colleges she is looking at use that for merit scholarships! so now my hispanic/black/white kid with a near perfect SAT score, and all 5s on her APs can't get merit scholarships at a TON of schools PLUS she misses out on a hispanic scholarship worth a TON of money...
    TAKE IT... i was given bad info and told it was like 1K in scholarships..NOT TRUE...
    i didn't take it as i wasn't sure the exact date, dance comps, and for 1K wasn't worth the stress for the 10-20K we lost out on she should have taken it.. now college is going to be hard to pay for.

lol my son is taking it in 6 days. there's no way he's getting a near-perfect score and he's not a minority. but still, i figured, whats the down side? he misses a day of martial arts and i have to pay $17 and he has to spend some time at the high school. whatever.

We didn't do PSAT...we did the ACT in junior year... Same idea. We also used the junior year as a practice test for the senior year. Also had the ability to use it for any scholarship opportunities.
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

I would definitely have your son take the PSAT, if only for the practice. Taking the test gives your child an immediate understanding of what the test is going to be like, which will reduce his stress when he takes the real thing. Also, the PSAT is a great way to gauge what kind of practice/study plan your son will need. Either way, have your son sign up for free PSAT/SAT advice - The College Board has a free question of the day, and there are hundreds of sites that have free resources too. There are also test prep for parents websites, which will help you decide what kind of role you want to have in this process, and what to do to help your son do the best that he can.

As for college, I agree with Kerry - if you send your son to a community college first, then his grades in the college courses are way more important to a four-year school than SAT/ACT scores.

Definitely take it...check out the article I recently wrote on this subject! The PSAT can make a big difference for homeschoolers...
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

PSAT info

I know this is an old question, but to the original question, the PSAT is not for college admissions. ACT/SAT scores are for college admission. I wrote a post about this here: KarenTrina Childress : 7 Tips about the PSAT/NMSQT Test and Homeschoolers

There is a lot of confusion about what the PSAT is used for. I also think that a student who did not take the PSAT, but had a perfect SAT score as well as other really high scores would be eligible for generous scholarships. Even though I have noticed a definite decline in scholarships over the last 10 years that I have had students going to college. :-(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast