Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By HSingMom
  • 1 Post By Apes
  • 2 Post By Inmom

Thread: Why not just Homeschool through College?

Lightbulb Why not just Homeschool through College?

As homeschoolers, we may be wondering and even a bit nervous, as to what happens after we finish highschool. Many may be excited by the idea of attending an actual college campus, but for some of us we may want to continue our education while at home. The great news is that today there are so many online options that allows for this. Here is a great article you can check out with more information about homeschooling through college
    tiallarising likes this.
    ~Hsing Mom

I've known many homeschoolers who complete their college education online and they love the flexibility and relaxed atmosphere it gives them! I've also known several who simply take their education into their own hands with lots of library books and research, and while you can't get a degree that way, if that's what they want--to simply learn more--then good for them! I love all the options available for higher education.

I'm going to be the black sheep here........ and say that going to college in-person makes a world of difference. I went to college and I knew some homeschooled kids. They all 'matured' a lot in college. There is just a lot that homeschooling can't give you, even though the benefits (in my opinion) greatly outweigh it. There is just a general awkwardness that a lot of hs age homeschoolers have. And going to college in-person really helps with this. Unless you're planning on staying in the house for work, its going to be a good idea I think.
    tiallarising likes this.

Established Member
    I have to agree with Apes. My kids have really, really blossomed at college. They both go to Big Ten colleges, so they went from a class of one, school of 2, to classes of 5000-7000 in freshman year.

Disclaimer: They took many college courses while in high school at a local satellite campus of a Big 10 school, but a very small one. The campus just added their 4th building this year.

Anyway, the number of like-wise motivated kids and the myriad clubs and opportunities have given my kids many chances to grow. They've also discovered interests they would otherwise not have known had they done college online.

Overall, the nice thing is that there are options for all kinds of learners for college--in person, online, or not at all.
    Last edited by Inmom; 10-18-2016 at 01:55 PM.
    tiallarising and Apes like this.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

I have also known many homeschoolers who have attended college in-person and greatly benefitted from it! The changes are evident, and it really does help with maturity. Honestly, I think it depends on the individual. Many homeschoolers I've known do really well with online school, but others do fabulously with on-campus school.