Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High school through the summer

High school through the summer

OK I really want to know if there are other parents who homeschool through the summer?? I feel like such a big meanie, but if we took that amount of time off I would be up to my eyeballs in reviewing the whole month of SEPTEMBER!!
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

No, we don't school through the summer, because I need the break even more than the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    No, we don't school through the summer, because I need the break even more than the kids.
    Shoe you are making me look bad!! hehe and yes I needed a break this year and the boys got 4 WHOLE weeks off..I found myself not wanting to start back so early So I guess that is one vote for mean mom,LOL
    ― Dr. Seuss

We hsed all 3 of ours through the summer. DD (!% almost 16) is trying to get done her classes as quick as possible as she wants to take college classes on photography and you have to have your grade 12 and be atleast 16 before you can sign up. She passed her grade 10 and 11 years by doing all the classes in 1 year and she is working on grade 12 now.

As this was our first year hsing I found it was easier for the children just to keep on learning. I was like you panda and didnt want to review for weeks on end.

Quote Originally Posted by tnick2 View Post
    We hsed all 3 of ours through the summer. DD (!% almost 16) is trying to get done her classes as quick as possible as she wants to take college classes on photography and you have to have your grade 12 and be atleast 16 before you can sign up. She passed her grade 10 and 11 years by doing all the classes in 1 year and she is working on grade 12 now.

As this was our first year hsing I found it was easier for the children just to keep on learning. I was like you panda and didnt want to review for weeks on end.
    WOOHOO a vote for NOT a mean mama!!
    I hate review it wastes SO much time...WOW I wish my son was thinking along those lines. Great JOB!
    ― Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by pandahoneybee View Post
    Shoe you are making me look bad!! hehe and yes I needed a break this year and the boys got 4 WHOLE weeks off..I found myself not wanting to start back so early So I guess that is one vote for mean mom,LOL
    Is it a vote for mean mom or for lazy dad? I feel like I should be doing more, but have no motivation or energy.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Is it a vote for mean mom or for lazy dad? I feel like I should be doing more, but have no motivation or energy.
    Totally with Shoe on this one. I DESPERATELY needed a break this summer. When the boys were younger we saved all of their science until summer and always had at least one subject going at all times (except for short 1-2 week vacays). Since they've been in high school, I think retention isn't so much of an issue any more, and they kind of want to do their own things so it's given me a chance to get this site up and going I guess!!! LOL

We typically take 1 month off because of summer camp and family reunions but we do work the rest of the summer. The workload is smaller though-just math and writing. If there is anything that didn't get done such as the grammar book or something else they didn't complete, they have to do that until they are done. Sometimes that takes them up to the start of the new year and they complain they didn't get a break from that subject. It's a powerful motivator

We do take more time off at Christmas and don't feel bad about taking a long weekend for a trip because of the year round schedule. It all evens out.
    Full-time mom of a 13yr old serious guy, 10 yr old DIVA, 7yr old thrill seeker, and 3 yr old charmer.
    Lover of books, the ocean, and a good deal

We usually go through the summer, but with high school coming up for 1, middle school for 2 others and a 1 year old in the mix, I decided we needed a break! I'm just now getting into planning the year after spending way too long mulling over curriculum choices. We are supposed to start school Aug. 27. *eye roll* We'll see!

I kind of think a break would have been nice as well, but as we did homeschooling through the summer we have taken days off when fun things have come up. We took today and went to the river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast