Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pandahoneybee

Thread: Science!

Science!

What kind of curriculum are you guys using for science? Right now we said we'd try CK-12's Biology and see how it goes.

Established Member

Science

For biology, we used a high school AP level Prentice Hall text and lab book. I found lab materials mostly through Home Science Tools. For geology, we used an intro college text and a physical geology lab. This worked well for my son as he has studied geology for years through 4-H and needed something a little more ramped up.

This year both kids are doing physics. I'm using the textxbook by Giancoli and planning my own lessons. I'm also a former physics and math teacher and still tutor the same subjects, so this is easy for me.

Teaching writing.....well.....that's an entirely different situation!!
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

In 8th and 10th we used a popular biology textbook (Campbell/reese?), and my son took a dissection class run locally (by a midwife lol).

In 9th we read Joy Hakim's Story of Science, which is basically science history, esp math, astronomy and physics. We only got half way through the third book. I figured its a good preview for physics.

This year we are using Chemistry Matters (from the singapore math website) - it is not really set up for home use, so I'm going through and assigning chunks like the bio textbook, but at least there is a teacher's version of the workbook.

Next year I plan on doing physics through kinetic books - unless he decides to take it at community college - he will take at least 1 class a semester next year

Super Moderator
    We went with "Science for High School - biology" this year, but I'll admit I'm not altogether enamored. It was an expensive purchase, and yet not all the items that are required are even included in the package. AND, I'm finding that I'm having to do an awful lot of behind-the-scenes planning in a curriculum that touted itself as pretty low-maintenance. We're making it work, but I'm not completely sold. I desperately wish NOEO created programs for upper high-school level. I ADORED their middle school stuff.
    Creating this site has been a dream come true!! I hope it will be a help and encouragement to you in your homeschooling journey!!!

Sincerely,
    Kerry - Site Admin

OK so science isn't my strong point so I have signed up A for a co-op class next year we did animal sciences (which was mostly him working on his research writing skills and learning about his fav animals) we also did plant science because well I LOVE PLANTS! But he needs more labs and I can't get any secular groups going sorry not much help!
    Robin likes this.
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

So excited that Time4Learning is offering science classes NOW for high schoolers! We signed up for it this year!! YEAH!! High School Curriculum for Homeschool - Time4Learning
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee