Thread: homeschooling a dyslexic highschooler

homeschooling a dyslexic highschooler

We have had to move to Ohio to homeschool. My son in enrolled in K-12, Ohio Virtual Academy...That is going very well. Susan Barton of Bright Solutions is providing us with her reading Program and Ohio Virtual is excepting that as the freshman English credit. We are homesick and would like to return to West Virginia. We cannot afford a homeschool program...and are extreme odds with Wetzel County administrators, who have proven to be under handed and less than honest. My son is presently a non reader, but is excelling using bright solutions. We have been told that you cannot get a high school diploma in West Virginia if you are a high school homeschooler. Any advice out there? Any suggestions. lmwilliams

Super Moderator
    You can actually get a diploma in any state in the United States if you are a homeschooler. As a homeschooler, the parents are in charge of issuing diplomas to students unless you are signed up with an online curriculum provider who provides diplomas to their program graduates. If that is the case, online programs issue diplomas to students no matter what state they live in. (more info on diplomas here: Getting A Homeschool High School Diploma Online | LetsHomeschoolHighschool.com)

Do you feel that the Barton program has helped your son advance in his reading skills? Is he still a complete non-reader after the course, or has he made some in-roads toward reading this year? I ask because that would help me make better suggestions for curriculum options. Even if you have a low budget for curricula, there are some great (even free) options available that would probably work quite well if you were willing to customize them for him. All states have a library for the blind that is open to anyone with a documented disability such as dyslexia. These provide free audio books and even textbooks, in many cases. You could contact the library for WV to find out how to get started with that: West Virginia Library Commission Special Services

There are tons of free video resources for students such as Kahn Academy, LearnersTV, WatchKnowLearn, Academic Earth, etc. You could practically create a full curriculum of almost any subject by combining videos from those sites. Netflix Instant has a very low monthly subscription price, too, and has TONS of educational programming. Also, you might just browse through our Curriculum Directory. You might find a quite affordable program or two that is online (meaning that all text could be read aloud by a free text-to-speech engine) or has lessons via pdf or ebook (again, readable by text-to-speech).

There are just so many options for creating a high school curriculum - - many of them can be hands on learning, too. If you are willing to create a customized curriculum for your son, and take the time to research all your options, then you could very well continue to homeschool him just fine, no matter where you live.
    Creating this site has been a dream come true!! I hope it will be a help and encouragement to you in your homeschooling journey!!!

Sincerely,
    Kerry - Site Admin