Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pandahoneybee

Thread: I have a 10th grader and I am still scared

I have a 10th grader and I am still scared

Well I have two boys and the oldest has some issues with learning delays and his ADHD (which to be honest I have ADD so its hard for me to stay on top of him as much as I need to). I know by this age I hear A LOT of homeschooling parents say I just give him/her the list of what we are doing that year and it gets done when it gets done. WELL there is no way I can do that, I did try it last summer for his summer classes and it was a disaster... he started then forgot. I tried not to remind him all the time because he needs to learn this but he isn't there yet. Sometimes i feel like I am not doing him any favors by homeschooling because he isn't taking any AP classes or dual -enrollment classes. He just isn't ready, and yes I have tested the waters with the online classes. BUT then I think I wouldn't have this wonderful loving teen who does have issues but for the most part HE LOVES US. He enjoys homeschooling and I enjoy him Just wondering what the rest of you are doing for your Special Needs Kiddos.. I hate using labels but I know he needs special attention to help him get to the finish line.. of COLLEGE!
    snippets likes this.
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

My son is only going into grade 8 but he has severe ADHd and I found if I gave him a writen plan for the week and a plan for the month also written it seems to keep him on track. His mind wanders so I keep him close as I do the youngests work as well and make sure he stays on focus.

In our house all weekly work must be done by friday but they can work at their pace. this gives me the weekend to wite his next week work up and have it for Monday morning.( not as hard as it sounds because I have his work planned out in advance.)

I found that this approach helps with the one in grade 12 and the one in grade 3.

Super Moderator
    I have to give my daughter a daily schedule, anything more is overwhelming and she won't remember to do it all anyway. ADHD does allow her creativity to thrive though. Whatever she is focused on really gets done with gusto. She doesn't like school all that much, so I try to make sure she has lots of breaks and I also try to make sure I keep as close to things good for right-brained learners. As far as college, I don't push, but she does seem to want to go. Right now she is more focused on what she needs to do to be prepared to get her GED.

Quote Originally Posted by tnick2 View Post
    My son is only going into grade 8 but he has severe ADHd and I found if I gave him a writen plan for the week and a plan for the month also written it seems to keep him on track. His mind wanders so I keep him close as I do the youngests work as well and make sure he stays on focus.

In our house all weekly work must be done by friday but they can work at their pace. this gives me the weekend to wite his next week work up and have it for Monday morning.( not as hard as it sounds because I have his work planned out in advance.)

I found that this approach helps with the one in grade 12 and the one in grade 3.
    (first I need to say hubby is totally on board with the homeschooling...BUT he major thing right now is that I DO too much still for Alex)
    So I tried that with Alex... he did it for a while then just slacked off. MY FAULT on that one, I guess?? After about two months of him doing what I wanted him to do and doing it well ...I started checking in on him every month. that's when the problems started again. So I guess I do need to guide him more on a weekly basis? Something I am at odds with hubby on..he feels like he should be doing it on his own and I shouldn't have to "hold" his hand on a regular basis.. ??
    ― Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by snippets View Post
    I have to give my daughter a daily schedule, anything more is overwhelming and she won't remember to do it all anyway. ADHD does allow her creativity to thrive though. Whatever she is focused on really gets done with gusto. She doesn't like school all that much, so I try to make sure she has lots of breaks and I also try to make sure I keep as close to things good for right-brained learners. As far as college, I don't push, but she does seem to want to go. Right now she is more focused on what she needs to do to be prepared to get her GED.
    She sounds A LOT like Alex...anything he loves is done and he does more work on WITHOUT me telling him. Anything else is kinda of a pain for us all.LOL Right now I am trying to prepare him for the SAT testing that we are going to take next year.. I am thinking that we might be doing a 5 year high school at the moment. I told him that and he wasn't that happy about it..so maybe it will push him to get his lessons done? I guess we will see!!! hehe
    ― Dr. Seuss

Sometimes the goal of finishing helps get them fired up. My daughter is pretty self motivated, but her friend just wasn't in any hurry to finish... But she did get to it when the idea of graduation and going on a mission trip was put before her!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!