Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tiallarising

Thread: The Test is Over!!

The Test is Over!!

Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago, I posted a thread on this forum about CLEP testing. I asked if anyone had any suggestions, etc. Well, I thought I'd let you all know that I took the test this past Monday...and I'm SO glad it's over!! In case you're wondering, it was the College Composition CLEP which is composed of 50 multiple choice questions to answer in 50 minutes, and two argumentative essays to write in 70 minutes. The name doesn't really tell you much, but it's an English comp test. There's a couple other ones, but this is the most comprehensive, and it requires the two written essays. (The other tests have optional essays.) So here's my experience:

It was pretty stressful. I almost ran out of time (I had 8 minutes to answer the last 10 questions), but I made it work and answered every question. The reason for that was for almost every 5-8 questions, there is a new literature passage to read. Some of the questions ask you to choose the best answer that describes the passage, so for those, you definitely have to read the paragraphs. However, I think what would have saved me time, is just reading the question, and referring back to the specific sentence it mentioned instead of reading the whole passage beforehand. It was the reading that really ate up my time!

The essay part was the most relaxing for me...I still had to make sure I was staying in the time limit, but it wasn't too hard - practicing writing timed essays really helped. I think I wrote 12 practice essays in the previous week to prepare, and it definitely prepared me! For one essay, the examinee is given 30 minutes to write an argumentative essay based off of his or her own knowledge and experience, and the prompt provided. For the second essay, the examinee is given 40 minutes to write in argumentative essay in which he or she must synthesize information from two cited sources - in support of his or her argument. Because of the practice essays, I was able to get the outline and essay written with 8 minutes left on the clock (12 for the 2nd essay, actually) which left me plenty of time to revise.

I don't know how well I did yet, since it was the College Composition CLEP, and the essays need to be graded by English professors, and then the grades mailed to me. Unless I did terribly, I will surely let you know!
    kaitlyn likes this.

Established Member
    Don't forget to tell us how you did when you find out!!!

Wow... I really envy you getting both an essay and an outline done in time. Did you use a lot of handwriting in homeschool? Most of my high school assignments were on the computer (as well as college assignments).

Still, congrats on this! I'm sure you'll love college. Most writers do

Quote Originally Posted by kaitlyn View Post
    Don't forget to tell us how you did when you find out!!!
    I most definitely will!! Ya know...unless I did terribly. And then I will let this experience fall into the dark shadows of my past... Never to be mentioned again... haha

Quote Originally Posted by ajones20 View Post
    Wow... I really envy you getting both an essay and an outline done in time. Did you use a lot of handwriting in homeschool? Most of my high school assignments were on the computer (as well as college assignments).

Still, congrats on this! I'm sure you'll love college. Most writers do
    I'm still shocked I was able to do it as well! Seriously though, it was all the practice timed essays that helped. I gave myself ten minutes to write the outline, and then twenty minutes to write the essay. (Thirty minutes to write the essay for the 2nd one.) I wasn't able to do it for my first couple of essays, but after that, I figured out how to narrow my thoughts to exactly what I needed to write in the amount of time.

I didn't use to do a lot of handwriting, but this past year I have literally gone through a full pencil every two or three weeks. So, I kind of got a lot of practice in writing quickly in this year. I'm not sure anyone else could read my handwriting, though.... :P

Thanks! I'm SO excited for college.

Alright everyone, so I just received my results for the CLEP.... I won't give the exact grade, but I will let you know that I earned a total of 6 credit hours, which means that I've CLEPed out of both English 101, and English 102 (each worth 3 credit hours), which was what I was hoping for in the first place! I actually was just going to be happy if I could CLEP out of 101, but I'm pretty happy that I've CLEPed out of 102 as well.