Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Goshilove
  • 1 Post By tiallarising
  • 1 Post By OrchidCeleste98

Thread: Does anyone here unschool?

Does anyone here unschool?

So I was wondering if anyone on this forum actually DOES unschool? We never really unschooled so I'm not sure what it feels like on a personal level. Do you feel like you're still getting a solid education without the textbooks? Just curious.

Established Member
    I don't unschool anymore, but I used to. I don't think you ever really feel like you're learning anything when you're unschooling, you just learn. At least, that's how it felt to me. But sometimes it's hard to learn everything you need when you unschool, so textbooks are really helpful with that.

In my opinion, I think it's better to unschool when you're younger, and then slowly get used to textbooks as you're growing up. That way, learning can be fun when you're a kid, and then once you're in high school, you're ready to sit down and learn everything you need from a textbook or something similar.

Thanks for your insight! That sounds like a great idea to me. I definitely agree that some things need to be learned through textbooks. I've heard of people who unschool all the way through...and I wonder how they get a solid education in history, science, math, government, etc, without textbooks. So when you were unschooling as a small child, did you just...play?
    Last edited by tiallarising; 02-24-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Established Member
    No, not necessarily. We read a lot of books together, watched documentaries and educational shows, discussed various things, etc. etc. In short, we just did more interactive things instead of just sitting down and reading a textbook.
    tiallarising likes this.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Sounds like a great thing to do with young children!
    Goshilove likes this.

Established Member
    I know I'm really late on this but I do have some perspective, the point of unschooling isn't to get a well rounded education because once you graduate high school being well rounded in traditional academic subjects is sort of pointless. Unschooling is more about finding something you are passionate about and getting really good at it.

If you are really good at something colleges are going to want you because they want a well rounded class (i.e. lots of students who have different strengths) not a class full of well rounded students. It's not a problem if you aren't a good writer if you adore quantum physics.

I think when people compare unschooling to typical school the idea of not having a solid background in traditional subjects seems misguided, so you have to think instead about how the skills you gets by unschooling (e.g. being able to specialize, devote a lot of energy to one thing without getting burned out, teaching yourself) will help in the workplace, where they want you to specialize.

It also gives you the ability to figure out what you want to do in your life. Once I spent a semester just cooking, I learned a ton of chemistry and determined that I do not want to be a chef.

Anyway, I hope I don't sound pretentious, I promise I'm not trying to come off that way, sometimes it just happens and I don't realize it.
    tiallarising likes this.

Thank you for your insight! I really appreciate it...I'd never thought of unschooling like that before.