Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ajones20

Thread: How to explain unschooling to difficult relatives?

Established Member

Question How to explain unschooling to difficult relatives?

Okay, so does anyone else have difficult relatives who are not on board with homeschooling? And how would you deal with them?

Most of my relatives are pretty against homeschooling, and especially unschooling. It gets so annoying, they all think i should have stayed in school because I was "good at it" and got really good grades, despite the fact that I was miserable. They read my blog (telling them about it was a mistake...) and I've tried to blog about what homeschooling is really like, but then they're all like, "you sound so negative!"

I've tried being calm and collected, that hasn't worked and it's really stressful.
    So, any ideas?

Oh no. I sympathize with you completely. During my year of unschooling, I also found it very hard to explain it to people.

My suggestion: go for the highlights. What part of your unschooling experience would be relatable to people in traditional school? For example: at the time, I was taking online classes to supplement my unschool (economics, algebra, et cetera). So I'd just say, "I take X hours a day doing Y and Z. Then, on my off-time, I do [other really school-sounding activities.]"

However, do understand that your relatives, especially older ones, may never be convinced. The important thing is that you get a good education and a solid understanding of the world. I spent a whole year of high school unschooling, and I'm now in college with a Computer Science major, working toward getting on the Dean's List for the third semester in a row. Just because your education isn't the same as the one your relatives had doesn't mean you can't be successful
    snippets and HylianAssistant like this.

Like Andrew stated, I would suggest emphasizing your "school-sounding" activities more than anything else. Such as, taking your math class at the school, when you go to your homeschool co-op (if you do), different online courses you might take. In a nutshell, things that sound "official."

I would also suggest stressing to them that, yeah, homeschool is completely different than what they're used to (especially unschooling) but that you enjoy it! Emphasize how much you care about it, and perhaps relate things in a more positive way. Try to sound passionate about the things you really do like about homeschooling. I think that the combination of your "official" activities, and your positive attitude about homeschooling might help.

Also, it's true: It doesn't really matter what they think about homeschooling - it's not their education. As long as you are the one getting the good education, whether they understand it or not, is what really matters. Hope this helps!

Established Member
    Thanks guys! You made me feel way better!

Quote Originally Posted by OrchidCeleste98 View Post
    Thanks guys! You made me feel way better!
    Awesome! Glad to help!!