Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tiallarising
  • 1 Post By OrchidCeleste98

Thread: When asked what homeschooling is, how do you answer?

Established Member

When asked what homeschooling is, how do you answer?

Everyone answers this one differently. For me, I just tell them that I basically do all my schoolwork at home. I make a little joke about it, saying something like, "Yeah, I ALWAYS have homework!" :P So how do you answer?

Usually when I tell someone I'm homeschooled, they'll ask how it works...like, "how does my mom do it?" "Is it an online school?" "Does she send the schoolwork somewhere else to be graded?" So I just tell them that there's a ton of different curriculum you can buy from various sources that contain all the core subjects. Some come with DVD's for instruction, others just have lessons to read. But ALL of them come with answer keys...which is how my mom grades them. I'll then go into how my schedule is and when/how my mom collects the work to grade it.
    kaitlyn likes this.

Established Member
    I've never actually had anyone ask me that question nicely or because they were actually interested. People ask me that if they think I'm not getting enough education, so I usually answer sarcastically, something along the lines of, "I sleep until noon and then watch TV until midnight."

Do you ever come across people who assume they know all about homeschooling when really they have no clue?
    tiallarising likes this.

Established Member
    @OrchidCeleste98 Yes, I have come across people like that! It's so annoying, because they acted like they knew everything about homeschooling, and then I was just like, "Um, no, that's not how it works." Then the other person was like, "Um, yes, it is, little girl." I said, "Um, I'm senior in high school, and I'm homeschooled. I think I would know." I was mad. Haha.....

Established Member
    @tiallarising I actually grade my own work! But, yeah, we don't have to send it in either! A lot of states require that, I believe, but here in Texas it's not required

Quote Originally Posted by OrchidCeleste98 View Post
    I've never actually had anyone ask me that question nicely or because they were actually interested. People ask me that if they think I'm not getting enough education, so I usually answer sarcastically, something along the lines of, "I sleep until noon and then watch TV until midnight."

Do you ever come across people who assume they know all about homeschooling when really they have no clue?
    Bahaha, yes. It's good you have the audacity to do that. I always gave honest answers and just listed what courses I was taking.

Of course, the main question everyone asks is, "do you get PE?" No, I didn't get PE. I went on walks and hikes and played tennis and exercised when I needed it. I don't need someone standing over me saying I should do push-ups. I'm healthy as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ajones20 View Post
    Of course, the main question everyone asks is, "do you get PE?" No, I didn't get PE. I went on walks and hikes and played tennis and exercised when I needed it. I don't need someone standing over me saying I should do push-ups. I'm healthy as it is.
    Yeah, PE seems to be a big thing around here. I guess people are concerned about homeschoolers' physical health or something... A lot of my friends participate in the local high school's sports. Either track, basketball, or tennis. I guess that really works for them...though I've never connected with the public school sports in that way.

Established Member
    I can see though why it would concern them. Some people can't exercise without any motivation from others, you know?

Established Member
    PE for 8 1/2 years kind of made me hate exercise.
    I would do sports with the schools, but it's like you can't start unless you've been doing that sport for years and are really good at it because they're so competitave.

Established Member
    I used to say that homeschooling was like school, only that I got the work done faster. Most people who have asked accept that answer.