Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By learnerwithapassion
  • 1 Post By BusyGoddess

Thread: Best Remedies for a Sickie?

Best Remedies for a Sickie?

Hey y'all, so I seem to have come down with one nasty head cold. High fever, headache, sore throat, runny nose... etc, etc. What do you guys do to feel better? Any food that helps?
    learnerwithapassion

Aww I'm so sorry you're sick! I've recently had a really bad cold (I actually still have the cough), so I know how you feel! Well, if you're not already taking it, I highly recommend Dayquil and Nyquil. They work wonders. Also, a hot cup of tea with a couple drops of GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract), and Echinacea usually helps - especially with the sore throat.

Then, drink LOTS OF WATER, and rest a lot. Also, Gatorade and Tylenol seems to help the cold-induced headaches a lot. It gives your body the extra electrolytes it needs, and reduces the pain. Last but certainly not least, Chicken Noodle Soup and Cream of Chicken Soup are wonderful sickie-foods!

Hope this helps, and get well soon!

@tialla Thanks ))) Dayquil and Nyquil are great! I didn't think of the tea, but that makes perfect sense xD I HATE resting though! I feel so useless and like I'm just WASTING the day away. (( And soup is always good, though it must be without the chicken (I'm vegetarian). Thanks for the advice!!!
    tiallarising likes this.
    learnerwithapassion

For headaches, we generally reach first for crystallized ginger and/or fresh mint leaves. We aren't big on taking medication & prefer to handle things naturally whenever possible. If natural methods don't get rid of a headache, I find that Aleve sinus works best on my sick headaches & any caused by sinus pressure. Soup, preferably homemade, is a must when someone is sick here. For sore throats, we gargle with warm water & fresh lemon juice and drink lots of tea. Echinacea, mint, and chamomile teas are most common when we are sick. We also do steams for runny nose or congestion, it really helps to break it all up & get it moving. Mint leaves or mint tea for a steam generally works great because it has such a strong smell. Lots of water (we always have fruit infused water in the fridge) and some orange juice. I also hate to rest when feeling sick, but I know it will get me back on my feet sooner, so I force myself to rest.
    tiallarising likes this.