Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Inmom

Thread: Hello from Atlanta!

Hello from Atlanta!

Hello everyone.

I have just electronically signed my 17 y/o daughter to be home schooled for her last year of high school...sigh. Not what the plan was at all, but unforseen circumstances make this a necessity. Unfortunately, i have absolutely NO idea where to start and would greatly appreciate any assistance from all of you long-timers! Short of registering with the state, we need to know where to go from here. Is there online education? Is it free? Is it expensive? What are the best sites to use? And a thousand more questions, but I'll let it go at that today.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!!!!

Lisa

Hello Lisa,
    We live in Georgia as well. Glad to hear you've joined the homeschooling family! There is a ton of information here at LHSHS that will answer all of your questions.

The best place to start is with the Absolute Beginners Guide -

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Homeschooling High School

If you have any other questions please ask!!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Established Member
    Hi Lisa, welcome to the group. In addition to checking out the beginner's guide, it would help us help you if we knew your daughter's goals post-high school. Is she looking at trades, college, work? How you homeschool her this year would depend a lot on what she wants to do.

Feel free to ask any questions. My daughter is a senior also, while my son is a junior this year.
    bailbrae likes this.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Thanks so much for the feedback. She is planning to go to KSU or comparable, possibly for teaching. We were hoping to have the HOPE scholarship, but are not sure if she will still be eligible for it after being home-schooled for a year, so that is something we really need to look into.

ANY additional feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Lisa

Hi Lisa! Welcome aboard.

I found some information on the HOPE Scholarship. https://www.ghea.org/pages/hsc/hopeScholarship.php

Established Member
    Lisa,

Have you looked into what, if any, testing scores KSU requires? If your daughter needs to take the SAT or ACT, she should probably sign up for that soon.

My kids have done a variety of types of courses. Some I have planned, others were online, and more still are dual credit at the local university. By far, the most expensive have been the dual credit; however, in some states dual credit for homeschoolers is minimal or free. (Ours is half off regular tuition, which works out to about $400/3-credit hour class including books.) However, the kids are able to transfer all or some of their credits.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science