Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Northcountry
  • 1 Post By Northcountry

Thread: A Long Hello from Minnesota

A Long Hello from Minnesota

Hello from Minnesota! We have homeschooled all along and suddenly my daughters are 16 (10th grade) and 13 (9th grade), and they're taller than me, too.

For early elementary school we played, read books together, did fun math activities and took a few enrichment classes. I was (and still am) influenced by Charlotte Mason's philosophies, but definitely not organized in the way a true follower might be.

We did later elementary school as relaxed homeschoolers (i.e., a library card, a math curriculum, and enrichment classes here and there). I started a music and dance class (my fields of expertise).

We did middle school mostly the same, adding a Chinese language curriculum, and also adding science with DH (his field of expertise) when the nearby nature center dropped its homeschool enrichment classes. The girls joined a writing group taught by a homeschool mom who is a professional writer.

Now we are truly in the thick of high school. I would say we are eclectic homeschoolers. Some courses, such as history, we assemble ourselves, and some, such as math and Chinese, we continue to purchase. So far, we don't do any online courses--maybe we will--nor do we do anything with the local schools--probably we won't. DH still teaches them science, I still teach them music and dance in what's now a homeschool/afterschool class, and they still participate in a writing group.
    Robin and tiallarising like this.

Established Member
    Hello, and welcome to the group. It sounds like you have everything under control!
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Wow! I love the variety of learning that you have provided for your children! The beauty of homeschool in action!
    Glad to have you as part of the community!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Hi there and welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy poking around the conversations here. I love how relaxed your approach to elementary and middle school was! How nice for your daughters—I bet they really enjoyed that.

Thank you for your kind welcomes. Actually, I was able to be relaxed about elementary school because both kids have always loved books and loved learning. That made it easy for me.
    bailbrae likes this.

Welcome! My daughters are 14 and 16.