Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tiallarising
  • 1 Post By tiallarising
  • 1 Post By Jamie

Thread: Gardening + homeschooling

Cool Gardening + homeschooling

We have a garden!!!! Lol, I know this doesn't seem homeschool related, but I plan to do a unit study on gardening. My youngest is the one who actually wanted to do it, not the school work obviously lol, but the garden (I must admit the work that is required for a garden has alway kept me from making one in the past.). Of course, when you see your children eager to learn, it makes you want to do what you can, to help teach them. Currently, we have: lettuce, collards, cucumbers, broccoli, zucchini, watermelon, strawberries in our garden. If anyone else has done a garden unit study and has any resources they would like to share, it would be much appreciated. (Kinda putting this together myself.) Also, if you have any tips for a Garden Newbie, would love the help there too
    ~Hsing Mom

Ooh that sounds exciting! Gardens are a lot of work, but the fresh fruit and vegetables are delicious and the sense of satisfaction is pretty nice too. I really have no idea how to create a unit study for it, but I have gardened before, so here are some tips. I'm sure you've probably heard of soaker hoses, which you can lay down in your garden and run so it keeps everything nice and moist. However, if you're out to save money, these hoses actually use much more water than just taking the time to water twice a day. On that note, when you water make sure to wash dirt off the leaves of the plants. If you don't wash the dirt off, it weighs down the leaves and keeps the sun from getting to them as well. Another note; in my experience, watermelon take a bit longer to finish growing than other plants, so keep that in mind. Also, if you ever want to grow tomatoes, a greenhouse works really well to ripen them. I hope this helps!!
    HSingMom likes this.

Oh hey there, I just ran across this article on creating a science unit study out of gardening! What are the odds? Haha! Here you go:

BJ's Homeschool - Our Journey Towards College: Science FUN in the Garden - with Printables - Growing Veggies Unit Study
    HSingMom likes this.

I love this - we enjoy "schooling" in other ways! Especially getting outside!
    tiallarising likes this.
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!