Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Robin
  • 1 Post By Inmom
  • 1 Post By bailbrae
  • 1 Post By Inmom

Thread: When is your first homeschool break?

When is your first homeschool break?

We actually took a "fall break." I know..unheard of, but work was piling up and some of the kids ended up sick. We just needed a few days to recoup.
    bailbrae likes this.

Established Member
    My teens have a scheduled fall break from their dual credit courses in a couple of weeks (just a Monday and Tuesday). I'm not sure if we'll break, or just lighten the load a bit that week.
    Robin likes this.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Super Moderator
    I don't know that we will take a break before Thanksgiving this year. We started our school year a little later than normal, and we generally take off from Thanksgiving to New Year's. Lots of family visiting, volunteering and fun stuff to do over the holidays.
    Robin likes this.

Ooooh...that's a nice long break. All of December off! My daughter has outside classes now so even if we break, we still have to get up and out to her morning course.

Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Ooooh...that's a nice long break. All of December off! My daughter has outside classes now so even if we break, we still have to get up and out to her morning course.
    Yes, we miss the flexibility we used to have when the kids were younger--field trips when you wanted, travel with dad on a biz trip. Now we're stuck to the univ schedule. But that's okay--the kiddos are happy there.
    Robin likes this.
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Yeah, it works for us. We also are still doing school come July, so there are pros and cons to breaking that long.

I know while I was in school, I would have loved to have all of December off...but I would have hated to do school in June and July, haha! But I love summer. I think the most miserable schooling time of the year is January-March, because it's just cold and bitter and there aren't any holidays to look forward to.

We school year round, so we get a week off every 5 to 7 weeks, plus 2 weeks at xmas and 5 weeks in summer.

Yes, the problem with Home school is that they will need a stable schedule.

We are getting ready for our next break soon. Dec. 19th is our last day until the new year.