Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Northcountry

Thread: Foreign Language

Foreign Language

What foreign languages are your students working on this year? What curriculum will you use?

I have one in Japanese, one in Spanish and one in French. The only curriculum I have figured out is Japanese. She'll just be moving on to Japanese 2 in her current curriculum.

Both DDs are studying Mandarin Chinese, and both use Chinese Made Easy. They can do most of it, though not all, without a tutor. For speaking and listening skills, they are working through Pimsleur Mandarin 3. One plans to do all five years of Chinese Made Easy (she's in book 4); the other plans to finish book 3 and then study another language.
    tiallarising likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Northcountry View Post
    Both DDs are studying Mandarin Chinese, and both use Chinese Made Easy. They can do most of it, though not all, without a tutor. For speaking and listening skills, they are working through Pimsleur Mandarin 3. One plans to do all five years of Chinese Made Easy (she's in book 4); the other plans to finish book 3 and then study another language.
    Wow, that is impressive! I've heard that Mandarin is a super hard language to learn. Awesome!

I don't know if Mandarin is super hard, but some things about it are really quite different from English. We started slowly by taking an enrichment class for two years, then working through the first year of an elementary school curriculum, and finally graduating to the first year of the high school level course but stretching it out over two years. I guided them through the elementary school book, but then it was beyond me to keep up.

Established Member
    Both of mine study Spanish. Dd started with Rosetta Stone and worked through 3 levels. She is now in her third semester of Spanish as a dual credit student and will take a fourth semester this spring.

Rosetta Stone didn't work well for my ds. However, he'll be taking two semesters of Spanish as dual credit this coming spring and summer semesters, mostly to meet the foreign language requirements of some universities. Maybe his sister can help him???
    Carol

Homeschooled two kids for 11 years

Daughter (20), a University of Iowa sophomore double majoring in English with Creative Writing and Journalism

Son (19), a Purdue University freshman majoring in Computer Science