Thread: Top 5 Unschooling Tips

Super Moderator

Top 5 Unschooling Tips

What are your top five unschooling tips?

We aren't 100% unschooling... but I would say that my top tips would be...
    1)To remember that everything in life can be educational. You don't have to be in front of a teacher or in a textbook to be learning.

2)KNOW your child's learning style... and use it to full advantage.

3)Give freedom to explore and learn beyond what is "necessary." This is what excites the imagination. Let them explore topics that they really love.

4) Remember that learning doesn't have to be formal.

5) Let your teen get lots of rest!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

Mine is pretty much similar to Jamies.
    1. Everything is educational - including cooking together, going on field trips, playing online games (doesn't have to be educational, but there are plenty of educational games websites) going to the park, visiting friends etc.
    2. Life skills is just as important as academic skills - Supplement theorectical education with life skills building activities, like a sport. For example, in football, you learn the importance of team work, the importance of boundaries and respecting rules etc.
    3. Learning is fun - One of the reasons you unschool is to stop making learning such a chore. You want your kid to feel the pull of discovery and creativity. You want them to want to know. Cater your teaching technique to suit this
    4. Design your teaching/facilitating to match their learning styles - if your teen remembers better what he 'sees' rather than 'hears' - add more visual cues to your lesson. And vice versa.
    5. Don't over do it - Homeschooling means that you can be good about how you schedule time - incorporating enough rest, enough studies etc. Nothing is more satisfying that time well spent.

Genius,
    I love your 5! Thanks for sharing!!
    Mrs. J - homeschooling six in our crazy eclectic way! Using Spelling City, Time4Learning, and a lot more...and blogging about it at MomSCHOOL!

I love these ideas SecularHomeschool.com is doing unschooling month they have some great unschooling blogs that they are featuring....I have loved to read how people manage to unschool even through high school! https://www.facebook.com/SecularHomeSchool
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

I feel like sometimes - I'm the one who puts the extra stress on myself and the family. I think alot of it is in our "heads!" Unschooling is all about relaxed learning... though I don't unschool in every area, we do in some... but I have to really try NOT to overmanage!