Thread: Nervous about the classes we start today!!

Nervous about the classes we start today!!

Well the time has come to add some coop classes... my oldest is in 10th grade now. We have done classes before so that's not really point, my concern is that they are in a church setting. We will be taking a couple of classes that I know have to be secular (Spanish, Study Skills, and a computer programming) their science is way too creation themed so they are out for us.

BUT I am nervous that we will have issues down the road when they start asking us about what church we go to and other "faith" questions. I find that when I am totally honest about what I believe sometimes they back away slowly!

Have you all had any issues with putting your secular kiddos in a faith based class?
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee

I prefer inclusive settings.
    My kids are respectful of all people and beliefs, so I expect anyone we choose to socialize with to be the same.
    We definitely don't want strange looks. lol

We are going to be attending some activities with a Christian homeschool group. I teach all faiths and leave it up to my kids what they believe in. The believe that the Old Testament is full of great parables, but they KNOW they should not say anything about that when we are in the Christian setting.

When asked our beliefs (which we've never been) I suspect we might say we value our personal relationship with God and don't like to discuss it much? Oy that sounds like a cop out. LOL

mpg
    Hi,
    We are in the same situation. My daughter takes an art class with a group of religious homeschoolers as well as volleyball. The art class went pretty well last year. She picked an evolution theme for doodle for Google and the teacher was able to give her feedback, etc. A couple of students gave her dirty looks, but she didn't worry about it. She recruited a secular friend for this year so she has back up. :-) Volleyball was fine last year. This year we are joining a carpool, so we shall see how the conversations go. We've avoided the - what church do you go to - question so far.

I have a great respect for someone who can state their beliefs, answer simple curiosity and NOT try to convert/recruit me. It s a two-way street however and you need to be open to hearing (not practicing) about other religions and beliefs. If your kids back away from those don't think exactly as they do, that's a problem. If they are comfortable and confident in their beliefs, there is no harm in having conversations with others.
    Last edited by Kim M; 09-25-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Just wanted to update you all on his success this past year with his classes, he did AWESOME. Made some friends and of course he was respectful of others so I think that is why he had really small classes like only 4 others in his class and they did pray before hand. BUT the teachers and students were very positive and he worked very hard so a SUCCESS in my eyes. two As, B and C+ (spanish wasn't easy for me to help him my espanol is terrible!)
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Enough said.. Michelle aka pandahoneybee